Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Oct-2006, 10:40
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Thoughts on progressive springs

As well as keeping on top of general servicing and maintenance, the plan for the 888 is to gently upgrade over a couple of years until it becomes 'my' bike. I'm starting with the brakes and suspension because I believe that's the best way to make the bike go faster - and also gives me more confidence in the handling. I sorted the brakes last year with a set of GP billets, so now I'm thinking suspension.

My mate Sparkin had Hyperpro stuff on his T8. I've just read about their springs here: http://www.hyperpro.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?p=springs and it all seems quite convincing.

Anybody had any experience of progressive springs? Thoughts?

I ride mainly quickish road miles with a couple of fast group trackdays a year (I would do more if I could afford it)

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 26-Oct-2006, 12:14
Ducati Meccanica

I have Hyperpro progressives in my bike. Made a huge difference to my original set up. Never had any issues whilst racing either. Anyone who's ridden Max will tell you he handles great, but I also have an Ohlins rear shock.
Old 26-Oct-2006, 12:21
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Progressives are good for bumpy roads, wasted for racing when they can reduce the feel. Remember that if you wind up the spring preload you are taking out all that expensive softness at the start of the springs travel
The right springing rate for you - or simply replacing old springs with new makes a bigger difference.
Even with expensive damping, the wrong spring rate will still be a problem.
Expensive damping ... one of the first things you notice is a reduction in stiction i.e. the spring is able to work sooner ... and we're back to basics again
Old 26-Oct-2006, 13:03
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Are you a bit of a "Chunky Monkee"? If so as Phil says winding the preload on with HyperPro springs takes away half their travel.

Not that I'm talking from experience ('scuse me while I take this pie out of my chops...)

Darren
Old 26-Oct-2006, 17:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Float between 14 stone 3 pounds and 14-8 depending on how much Guiness I drink, so no lightweight but not a complete bloater...but I see what you mean about preload...hmmmmm maybe just go down the standard set-up route then.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 26-Oct-2006, 18:30
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Jools,

I have dealt with Hyperpro and they are very helpful. Lent me a spring to try on the rear of my bike. No hassle at all. In the end, I didn't keep it, but it's really a case of getting the rate spot on (as Phil says) and it's a bit/lot more difficult to calculate/predict what spec or wire/wind will work with your combination of loaded weight and suspension design. With a linear wound spring it's a doddle to work out your requierd rate.

All the best as your plan to make it "your bike" is deffo the way to go.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 26-Oct-2006, 18:40
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Hi Jools
ProV Twins fitted a Hyperpro kit to my Strada last year and then set it up to my weight 84kg and it has totaly transformed the handling it no longer bucks over bumps but is still firm enough to really push the bike to my limits with really good feel now through the tyres.
the best £285 ive spent on the bike.
by the way that price was with the forks and rear shock off the bike and a visit for setting up.
ian
Old 26-Oct-2006, 19:18
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
you might find this spring rate calculator useful

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork

simply enter your weight in pounds and whether you use it for road and race and it'll tell you the correct linear spring rate to use. The link above is specific to the 888 but they do most bikes on their site.
Old 27-Oct-2006, 18:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
have you tried the calc'? Doesn't seem to know much. refers all sorts of rider weights to "plase Call."

Rgds, Rob
Old 27-Oct-2006, 20:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo16
you might find this spring rate calculator useful

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork

simply enter your weight in pounds and whether you use it for road and race and it'll tell you the correct linear spring rate to use. The link above is specific to the 888 but they do most bikes on their site.

beeb using the racetech site for a few years and always gives a good starting point.

As for progress springs----- I say throw them in the bin
As for linear rate springs----
I have Ohlins linear springs in my 1999 R6 which finished in 21st place in the Junior TT, lapping at 115mph so they're fine on fast roads

Mike Davies at Robsom Racing does both K-Tech and Ohlins linear springs at a good price along with DSC discount, only talked to him at the NEC show yesterday about them

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook