Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Apr-2005, 18:43
Big Twin

Part worns on fleabay

I was gonna splash out on new Corsas for my 749, and looking on fleabay, there are loads of part worn Supercorsas about...thing is, are they OK for average/fast road use? Im no Troy Corser, and I only want them to last for the summer, and I don't ride in the rain, do you reckon they'll be ok?

What should I be looking for in the tyre pictures? How much blistering of the sides should I allow for?

Any tips/hints gratefully received
Old 06-Apr-2005, 19:05
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I guess it depends on what they have really done. If they are blistered I wouldn't buy them. I'm no tyre expert and not very experienced with this sort of thing but I would be looking for a pair that had no signs of cold tear (my supercorsa's were ripped to bits when I replaced them, Steve at Wraysbury Tyres had a good giggle when he was taking them off!) and just general wear.

Any deformity's like blisters etc would steer me clear of them. I'd try and find out if they'd been used with warmers etc as well to find out how many heat cycles they'd been through.

It would be a bit iffy buying them through e-bay but I guess you could get some bargains. Good luck, let me know how you get on because I might give that a go myself

TP
Old 06-Apr-2005, 20:29
Big Twin

Cheers TP, plenty on fleabay, but all with the same(ish) descriptions: "only done 10 (or 20 or 30) laps at (insert your favourite circuit name), 5mm of tread left in the middle..."

I don't know enough about tires to make an informed decision, don't wanna be wasting my money
Old 06-Apr-2005, 20:53
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
Cheers TP, plenty on fleabay, but all with the same(ish) descriptions: "only done 10 (or 20 or 30) laps at (insert your favourite circuit name), 5mm of tread left in the middle..."

I don't know enough about tires to make an informed decision, don't wanna be wasting my money
I would be wary of buying part worns without viewing them first.Imo part worns are a waste of money unless you are on an extremely tight budget and/or are desparate.
Give either Tyreman or Mike Davis a bell and order a set of new Diablo's.You know it makes sence.
Old 07-May-2005, 23:46

They sell them on ebay because they are no longer good for the track. The heat cycle generated on the track reduces the grip of the compound so they change them. You should also note that track tyres do not get up to their working temperature even with fast road use. You would be much better off with a nice new pair of Diablo's. Part worns are only of use if its all you can afford. Before ebay they were thrown away!