Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Aug-2012, 09:25
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Misfire and hopefully a solution

Did a 500 mile journey last Thursday. Beautiful day for biking but there was a cloud on the horizon!

Bike was both hunting and missing a beat at approx 4000 to 5000 revs. Worse, it completely cut out under hard acceleration and kicking, spluttering and backfiring.

Back to Ducati Leeds who were very good and have analysed the problem as a faulty fuel pump. Pump hopefully winging its way from Bologna now.

Anyone else experienced this?

The interesting thing about it is, that there have been a number of reports of poor fuelling in the 4000-5000 reg range yet some have said they don't recognise this and others have been really disillusioned by it. Just wondering if there is an explanation if others have had fuel pump problems which could easily be thought to be mapping problems?
Old 02-Aug-2012, 14:02
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth
Pump hopefully winging its way from Bologna now.

As long as it left Balogna before 1st Aug, if not I doubt you will seeit till Sept as the factory closes for August.

Chris
Old 02-Aug-2012, 14:20
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

They still run a small staff during the August shut down for 'urgent' deliveries.
Old 05-Aug-2012, 07:31
GTL

All sorted. Ducati Leeds were very efficient and got the pump sent, fitted, tested and bike returned. Since done another 400 miles and seems good.
Old 06-Aug-2012, 09:44
Montjuic

I think you are running the full system? If so, then yes, there is a big hole in the fuelling between 4-5K rpm and if you hold the bike on a constant throttle in that range it feels awful. Apparently Ducati are aware of this and are releasing a new map in the not too distant future...... not date yet.

Mine does exactly the same.

As a side note, mine cut out completely on Sunday morning when I was crossing a dual carriageway! Fortunately it was early and there weren't any cars around and it stopped on the crossing on the central reservation. I had to push it back across to the side road and it took 4 or 5 goes with a bit of throttle to start. Ive also noticed a mysterious fuelling issue appearing at 7 and 9k rpm at full throttle in 5th and 6th gear. Perhaps my fuel pump is on the way out?
Old 18-Aug-2012, 23:26
GTL

Hi Ben

Bit of a delay in responding as i sit here in the Andean sun in Chile drinking fine wine and chilling out! Needless to say, no Panigales evident here but a few Teneres etc.,

Now back on topic...

The symptoms you describe are exactly those I experienced. Get it checked out by the dealer is my advice.
Old 20-Aug-2012, 10:17
Montjuic

Thanks for the tip - its going in on the 10th Sept for the warranty work so I'll get them to check the pump out whilst its in.

Cheers,
Ben