Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:07
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
916 valves - stock anywhere

currently getting valves changed on my ageing 916 and with 24k on it, it's a good call before things start downhill prevention better than cure and all that.
the inlets are no problem and in stock but exhaust valves are out of production at the mo. They are on order but have been for a few weeks.
Thought these would have been readily available but alas not. This is the kind of waiting that makes aprillia look efficient (well ok not that bad)
I do home they are made before summer comes

What is the expected lifespan on valves ? granted my old 1995 bike has done a few miles but i expect to be keeping it another 3 years (not fast or new but i really feel quite attached to it and am loathed to flog it for the sake of it) and run up another 10 - 15k in 3 years unless it keeps costing more in generators and rectifiers than fuel.

Cheers

[Edited on 21-2-2006 by crm250]
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:21
Ducati Corse

I wouldn't have thought there was a service life on valves unless the engine is living on the rev limiter all the time. I've never heard of a 916 dropping a valve either. Just a light grind in would be enough for another 30,000 miles. Don't forget that desmo valves are not smacked back onto the seat by a spring, they are mechanically closed so they should be less stressed than regular valves.

My ST4 has done 24,500 miles and the compression is still fine. I started it today after a gap of nearly four months and it fired after two turns of the engine.

Thats my thoughts anyhow!
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:41
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
You can measure the stretch of the valves but if its a strada or BP (ie not SP cams) then they should be fine for another 24000 miles yet, more likely to need guides and stem seals though and well worth replacing the half rings (collets) and you shouldn't drop a valve. (assuming you dont live a the red line!)

if you need valves, we've got some in stock, but you shouldn't need em.

good luck.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:10
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Don't fix what ain't broke!! Cheaper and stress free in the long run. Valves're not normally a wear and tear item, if the heads are stripped already then go with the lap in and new seals (de rigour) but do they really need new valves? Especially when you can't get any!!! good luck
Old 20-Feb-2006, 07:55
500SD

Thanks wilf, on the whole over the past 3 years it has been pretty good. i bought it with 9k on it and hes let me down a couple of times with electrical issues, and i am quite happy with it on the whole. reason for the valves, is because with 24k on it i want the heads lifted this time, and may aswell change them and seals and guides to be sure no top end issues show in the next 3 years at least.
the bike is on good condition and hope it will keep on plodding for a while yet, so the small cost of a set of valves is not really a problem when the tear down will cost not much less if just new seats and guides and gaskets etc etc.
on the upside, i have changed oil every 2 - 3k and belts every 6k or 12 months, rockers are all good and clearances were all fine last service, but with the heads off, its easier to check all is well up top.
Few of us doing spain / france again in may and i expect another 3k to be put on it over a week or so, and after its last rectifier issue in france i dont fancy seeing the return trip through the UK on the back of a truck.
Part of me says do the trip on a jap bike or the mille, but i want to see if she can make it on her own this time without fuss.
Its a great bike and i accept it aint the quickest out there nor the newest but it's always going to be an early italian bike and things may show thier hand when not expected, so just trying to ensure its as good as can be really
Old 20-Feb-2006, 13:37
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
No worries, let me know if you need them.

Are you doing the heads / Service yourself?

we do a collection service for a top end refresh, as lots of guys service the bikes themselves but dont want to touch the heads.

Just whip the heads off, pack them in a box and we get em collected, do the refresh and send em back with a new gasket kit, belts etc. its a pretty popular service.

if you need any other top end parts, just call, we keep just about all those bits in stock.

good luck.

wilf
Old 20-Feb-2006, 20:35
500SD

Guys thanks for all your offers of help including the guys in the background - it is much appreciated.
Dont actually need to use the bike till end of march (and the RC30 is proving to be just far too much fun) so if it get close to the mark i may just be in touch.
Am looking forward to getting back on it though. roll on summer

Regards
Old 21-Feb-2006, 13:57
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Was up at jhp yesterday,they have 8 sets of valves in stock,give dave a ring if you need them
Butch
Old 21-Feb-2006, 14:01
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
Was up at jhp yesterday,they have 8 sets of valves in stock,give dave a ring if you need them
Butch

Butch, spoke to John or I should say John spoke to me about this thread yesterday... Paul (CRM) is aware of his offer
Old 21-Feb-2006, 18:54
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
Butch

Butch, spoke to John or I should say John spoke to me about this thread yesterday... Paul (CRM) is aware of his offer
Glad you cleared that up jon,wouldnt have been able to sleep tonight!
Did john tell you he's got a new man in the engine room.
Butch