Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Dec-2005, 22:16

just a FYI jump in from across the pond and new guy here....

I posted pics of those discs and recieved feedback that they appear to NOT be fully floating discs as advertized...when i contacted the retailers/auction people the response was that they did not know and only provide the information the manufacture gave them. Any input on if they appear to not be full floaters ?

I also questioned about weight and they had nothing to offer and said they did not know!

I also asked about the carrier and disc metals specifically...they did not know!

I also asked if the carriers where powder coated or anodized black.....I did get this answer. THEY ARE PAINTED.

Has anyone dug up some additional info. ? Like who is actually manufacturing these discs and where?

Share share

Eric Houston
Throttlehead
Speedzilla
C.O.R.E.
DesmOhio
DSC
etc..........
Old 09-Dec-2005, 23:09
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My mate Dougie at work has finally got his £149 wavey discs that are on Ebay, I haven't had a chance to chat to him yet or see the discs, I think Senna3 may have seen them when Dougie called into his work place earlier this week
Old 09-Dec-2005, 23:12
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
throttlehead i have emailed them and they replied to my weight question with the answer that they do save weight and i have emailed someone who bought them, will see if i still have his email and post on here

kev can you post any info you have on them please
Old 09-Dec-2005, 23:33

"they save weight" is not much of an answer from a seller of a product....

how much does one weigh exactly?
what is the carrier and disc alloy specifically?
Is it really fully floating or not?

and.... if "they" were willing to answer these questions or find out from the fabricators....many more may be purchased through word of mouth no less. However, half answers really do, and often should, lead to suspicion.

what if they are heavier, what if they are fabricated with cheap or poor metal alloys, what if they are not really fully floating, How thick is the disc, what type of paint was used on the carrier, what pads have been tested with these rotors and which seem to work best on street or track, ??

Well i'm doing a fairly good job of taking myself out of this potential purchase

Surely not trying to rub anyone wrong here is you are associated with these people....but information is important to a heady informed consumer
Old 09-Dec-2005, 23:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
here is my email from the guy i contacted:

Hello Dave,
Your the second person to ask me and I don't mind at all.
They seem to be very good quality, though I haven't fitted them yet(.They are actually for a guzzi project)The centres are alloy rather than steel and weigh 1kg less the pair than standard ones.The only minor disappointment is that on 3or 4 of the edges the hand finishing isn't as perfect as it could be.You probably could correct this yourself if you felt the need but once fitted I think you'll hardly notice.I think maybe if you ask he might refund if you are not happy.But honestly, especially for the money they seem very nice.
All the best
John

They are apparently made in China!
Old 09-Dec-2005, 23:51
Ducati Meccanica

whoahhh throttle head

your talking me out of them now. i'm going to email them again and ask a few of those questions as im not willing to risk my life on some shady disks, i would rather pay double the money and get galfer/braking form my local dealer

cheers for your help so far

dave
Old 10-Dec-2005, 00:12
Ducati Meccanica

heres my questions followed by his speedy reply

before i part with £150 could you answer a few questions on these disks for me please:

what metal is used to make these disks ?

how thick are the disks ?

what pads have they been tested with ??

are the centres of the disks powder coated ??

heres the reply:

no problem
high grade stainless steel outers centres are high grade aloy that is high temp painted doesnt chip. discs are 5mm thick tested with standard pads so no need to upgrade, read the feedback you will be glad you bought a pair
Old 10-Dec-2005, 01:20

I don't pretend to be a metallurgist or a "glass half empty" bloke .....but i may be.

What high grade stainless steel ?

there are many types with differing behavioral/molecular characteristics and manufacturing processes that better align themselves to specifically tested applications.

What alloy specifically is being used for the carrier (again see above for important information)

further and important for me also, is to verify whether or not these are full floating buttoned rotors not semi floated. They are advertized as full...but could not verify other than deferring to the actual manufacturers statement for retail.

150pounds per disc plus +shipping to the USA makes them very close to Braking wave rotors or Galfer I would guess if you get a good internet deal.

while i would still want a pair if quality is there....i would rather have a light weight pair of full floating of standard shape than to get on the wave/petal bandwagon.

Just to note -there are many write ups confirming little performance benefit of the wave/petal design to majority mortal bike riders/track day enthusiasts. Weight would be the primary benefit but the other claims of cooling or cleaning etc....would not be of consequence to the majority.

Dang I want a set for the Duc 998 just to write up abount them now

but these are the yum yum

http://braketech.com/cgi-bin/search....late=stainless
Old 10-Dec-2005, 01:30
Ducati Meccanica

its £150 a pair not a disk so its half the price of galfer which is the only reason im looking at them. im not expecting much more performance from them but as mine are on their last legs i need something that will stop me hitting the wall at speed. i want a set because they look damn sexy in my eyes
Old 10-Dec-2005, 01:38

well as a pair it is certainly a bargain if they are at least as well performing as OEM, they are lighter, they hold up....and come with some kind of manufacturer warranty against defects

i like them as well for the price i'm just playing skeptic but further want to know the what i am actually buying