Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 07-May-2011, 15:41
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
If it is power/weight I could just have the Nemesis on my 848 tweaked to limit power and give me shedloads of torque!

Power/weight on the surface is straightforward, but the whole one-make/limited changes rule keeps things sensible on other costs - such as shocks/forks etc. If we are limited to small changes on one machine any amount of money shouldn't give anyone a real advantage (I think that is the main point of the series). Otherwise we just end up being another Minitwins/thunderbikes. I would like to keep things simpler than that.... it is the main reason I joined DD in the first place rather than any other series. I didn't have to know a lot about bikes... I could just go buy one and race knowing I could be competitive. If we mess with that, we could lose what the series is about (in my opinion).

You could as you say tweak the 848 except it's not air cooled

Also there are a lot of people in DD that like to fettle & that's what it's all about for them.
Even if you bought a new 696 you still need to do something about the suspension as it's pretty basic.

I think that going one model 696 would put a lot of people off as there are not enough cheap bikes out there, It's hard enough to find desent 620's.
Also what would happen to the present 620's no where else to race them??
Old 07-May-2011, 17:06
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Good point.... If the rules remain air cooled only.

Depending on what power/weight you choose, the 620's would become obsolete anyway. They could still be run, but shouldn't be as competitive if a decent power level is picked.

I know the standard suspension would need working on... As with the current bikes. But, it would be nice if it could be restricted to standard kit (tweaked) to keep costs reasonable. That is why I was liking the one-make rule, so it is obvious everyone was on a relatively level playing field.

Sounds like we need to dig Nogs Maxxis rules out?!......
Old 07-May-2011, 17:20
Bikes: SS600 & a couple of classic japs

Mood: mines always good its the rest of 'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by 848spence
Please keep it the same as im currently looking at buying a class b bike to race next year, or even end of this season

Me too!! In the last few weeks I have got a van, a standard SS600 & s/h leathers, and I've got my ACU course on Monday. Now I just need to get the bike sorted, and the rest of my gear and my licence, aiming to race at Pembrey in July (I hope), trouble is I'm skint now.
Old 07-May-2011, 17:29
Big Twin

Really no need to worry about Class B. Im 100% sure it will be the same for many years yet. This is more about what can be done for class A (or an additional Class).
Old 07-May-2011, 17:42
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Good point.... If the rules remain air cooled only.

Depending on what power/weight you choose, the 620's would become obsolete anyway. They could still be run, but shouldn't be as competitive if a decent power level is picked.

I know the standard suspension would need working on... As with the current bikes. But, it would be nice if it could be restricted to standard kit (tweaked) to keep costs reasonable. That is why I was liking the one-make rule, so it is obvious everyone was on a relatively level playing field.

Sounds like we need to dig Nogs Maxxis rules out?!......

The power to weight would need to set so a standard 696 was the bench mark then you can do what you like to old monsters/ss to make them competitive.

As for suspension the rules should stay the same as they are now or all the present bikes would become illegal.
Old 07-May-2011, 18:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
The power to weight would need to set so a standard 696 was the bench mark then you can do what you like to old monsters/ss to make them competitive.

As for suspension the rules should stay the same as they are now or all the present bikes would become illegal.
Agree and agree. My suspension point was similar rules to now to try to limit Ohlins etc upgrades (I'm guessing the 696 was never Ohlins shod).
Old 07-May-2011, 18:35
Big Twin

So, 150kg and 80bhp?... Would that allow 800 monsters? Would they have more torque?.... Can of worms?

(just checked wiki: 696: 80hp and 51lb/ft. 800: 74hp and 54lb/ft.... So a fairly easy way to keep existing bikes competitive?)

Last edited by Jolley : 07-May-2011 at 18:41.
Old 07-May-2011, 19:43
Ducati Corse

Unhappy

Quote:
So, 150kg and 80bhp?... Would that allow 800 monsters? Would they have more torque?.... Can of worms?

(just checked wiki: 696: 80hp and 51lb/ft. 800: 74hp and 54lb/ft.... So a fairly easy way to keep existing bikes competitive?)

I toyed with the idea of building a mini twin 696 & I recon it would make a very light & nimble bike, would make a great DD bike aswell.

I have a X DD class A bike with an 800 motor it makes 79bhp on HM's dyno can't remember the torque but I guess it would be on par with the 696 but it weighs 176kg so a bit more than the 696.
Old 07-May-2011, 20:28
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
being honest, not sure I'd be any quicker with a 620 anyway, I have to find the limits of a 583 before I can go any quicker. Not even sure I'd go that much quicker with an 848!!
Old 08-May-2011, 20:11
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 848 and 583 dd race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyboy
Me too!! In the last few weeks I have got a van, a standard SS600 & s/h leathers, and I've got my ACU course on Monday. Now I just need to get the bike sorted, and the rest of my gear and my licence, aiming to race at Pembrey in July (I hope), trouble is I'm skint now.

Well looks like i'll pick up my new bike in next few weeks,so few trackdays and maybe first race cadwell. See you there.