Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 30-Jan-2004, 13:36
Mille

999s fettling.........

Some info that any one planning to tweak their 999 might find interesting.

Last autumn I fitted the full 57mm Termi system with DP ECU and filters to my S.

The bike was run for the rest of the year without any further adjustment.

I put it on a dyno in September just to see what was going on and the results were promising, although fueling mid range wasn't brilliant it was usable. (see earlier posts for graph)

I resisted fitting a PC3 at that time in anticipation of any early release of the FIM ECU and because I was loathed to add something to the bike just to fix something that wasn't working properly, i.e. the DP ECU.

With 3k on the clock it was time for a service anyway and after discussions with Neil Spalding at Sigma decided we would go for a Monty plus a few extra's. The brief was to end up with a user friendly bike biased for track days but not a full race tune.

The motor was stripped, checked and reassembled with precision. Heads were ported to match the 57's and volumes matched - something I understand that twins react well to. Cams and rockers were superteched.

Following a run on the dyno it was clear that the adjustment available with the DP ECU just wasn't up to the job fueling the new motor correctly and be-grudgingly a PC3 was fitted. (A Corse ECU is available, but at nearly £1k I felt that it was going too far)

The PC3 did its job and the bike is now spot on.

Here's the good bit......

Remember this is a standard 999S motor, no motor tuning parts have been used, valves and cams are stock and its running standard factory cam timing.

Nearly 70 ft/lb torque @ 4k rising to over 80 ft/lb @ 8k and staying there to the limiter!

Almost linear power curve 100bhp @ 7k, 125bhp @ 8k, 135bhp @ 9k rising to 145bhp @ 9.5k all the way to the limiter!

(obviously the dyno figures are not absolute since different dyno's will determine slightly different outputs, but if I were to take it back to the shop who ran it up last September I would be seeing 150bhp + at the rear wheel)

I'll post up the graphs when I get a mo, but what the numbers don't tell you is what a clean, crisp and responsive motor Neil and co. have built.

I cannot praise the team at Sigma enough, simply outstanding.