Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Feb-2005, 13:09
Mille

Mood: .
Hints/help/tips for a trackday virgin

I'm going to do my first ever trackday this year at Croft and am looking for any help/advice/hints/tips from all the track day veterans on here.

My main concern is being cleaned out by some "have a go hero" approaching at warp speed from behind.

very very excited about it, but shitting bricks at the same time...
Old 28-Feb-2005, 13:17
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark76
very very excited about it, but shitting bricks at the same time...

above all enjoy yourself and ride at your own pace.

specifically,

make sure your bike is in good condition, tyres, brakes etc.
remove or tape up your mirrors. you dont need to worry about whats going on behind you.

drop your tyre pressures to somewhere around 30/32.

take your time to learn the circuit, you have all day so take it easy.

drink plenty throughout the day and eat light snacks particulalry at lunch
Old 28-Feb-2005, 13:33
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Everything Dickie said,

Plus - most trackday companies also have instructors on hand, you could book a session to have them show you a few tips

Rob
Old 28-Feb-2005, 13:46
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
At the risk of stating the obvious - It's totally different to riding on the road, and you therefore need to think differently.

I know some riders who are pretty quick and capable on the road and really can't get on with trackdays because they're too focussed on doing all the things they do on the road.

Not sure I have any great solutions to this other than being open-minded, but I second the advice to seek out an instructor and get some help from them.

I did 4 or 5 trackdays before seeking any advice, thinking that I'd appear really dim if I asked obvious questions without trying to answer them for myself first - it was only after getting a bit of expert help that I really realised how much fun these days are!!!

Go in deep, turn quickly, wind-on as soon as you've got the bike leaned over (but gently does it) and let the people behind you worry about what's behind you - keep to your chosen line and they'll work out where to go if they need to get past.

Have fun mate - it's why you bought a bike in the first place!

Giles
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Everything Dickie and Rob say.

But don't be worried about getting mugged by really quick riders, unless you're starting in the fast group! A handy tip if you're worried about that would be to wear an orange bib, that way people should be polite enough to give you plenty of space. But in the novice and inters groups it really shouldn't be an issue.

Start slow and build up, ignoring what might be going on behind. Enjoy it, get home and get on the dog'n'bone to book a few more! Then get yerself a monster and enter DesmoDue next year!
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
MM76,

When are you planning on going?

I'm gonna see if the DSC Yorks region wanna go on 25th April.

We just book with the organisers but it is good to go with a few mates.

It's pretty rare for some hot head to take someone out as it were, but it's not unkown. If you ride round worried about who is behind you your riding will be CRAP. It helps if you can be consistent with your lines, most if not all companies have "instructors" who will show you round are a pace you are happy with.

I used to be paranoid about the same thing but now its mirrors off and that even after I had some EEEjit run into the back of me a year or so ago, (Not at Croft I hasten to add).

On the track everyone is heading in the same direction, usually!, no speed cameras, no one will pull out on you, and if the worst does happen help will be on hand, on the road you could lie in a ditch for ever!!

On that happy note enjoy it. Let us know when you are going,

Ray
Old 28-Feb-2005, 14:16
Mille

Mood: .
Thanks for the words of wisdom!!

Ray, Going on the 25th April. There are 4 or 5 of us coming down from Newcastle.

Rock on the good weather!!!
Old 28-Feb-2005, 14:27
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Everything everybody else said, but remember...

On the road, you have bushes, trees, roadsigns and other traffic which give you a sense of how fast you're going. You know how fast 80 mph feels on a narrow road between high hedges right?

On the track, all of that disappears. You have a big wide open circuit, usually with big wide open run off areas and everything seems slower. So when you think you're going into a corner slowly, just be aware that you may be travelling faster than you think.
Old 28-Feb-2005, 15:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
What they all said and...

Prepare, get a good nights sleep, eat a good but not huge meal and drink loads. You'd be amazed at how much it takes out of you so be careful when you ride home. My first TD was on the short and twisty half of Cadwell when they where re-surfacing; no rest at all during the track time. I was so spaced out on the way home (nearly 300 miles for me) I was goosed and nearly stuffed it twice.

Rgds, Rob
Old 28-Feb-2005, 16:25
Big Twin

Thank you all for the helpful advice. There really ought ot be an "advice for trackday virgins" doc somewhere .. or maybe there is?

I am booked in at Cadwell on GOod Friday for my first track day. ONe thing I have learnt (from Rockhopper, thanks), is that on the road you go easy for 10 minutes to let your typres warm up. At least, you should do. ON the track you are only on for about 15 minutes or so in a session, so you would be spending a lot of the time warming them up. Tyre warmers were recommended to speed that process up - solong as they are good ones that get hot enough (Diamond are 1200W whereas Motrax are only 600W and MAY struggle). Also, check whether you will have garage space to plugin, or you will need a suitable generator (can hire those for the weekend of course).

I must add, I am not speaking from experience, just sharing some insight gleaned from this board in the past few week or so.

Cheers
Henry