Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jan-2006, 10:14
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

wish there were more curvy roads than Tuna Canyon, Angeles Crest, that stuff near San Diego and Elsinore....Makes the tires wear flat....LOL
Old 27-Jan-2006, 19:45
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
The light patern is determined by the depth of the bulb mounting into the reflector. The low beam lights are called a 'projector' style, which are notoriously bad for light output when compared to a normal dicroic reflector.

I have fitted several HID kits to cars, and also installed a set on my ST4S.
As long as the HID bulbs are mounted at the correct depth the light still remains correctly focused. This is generally the difference between a good kit and a bad kit, as they all seem to use the same range of ignitors.

I buy all my kits from Autolamps-online.com, who will offer members a discount if you give them an email and mention 'DSC', or my name (John Webster).

They do a mounting kit specifically for the ducatis.

Because the 916/996/998 has seperate bulbs for high & low beam, you need a pair of kits (one is H1, the other is H3).

Cheers,
John.
Old 27-Jan-2006, 19:52
Big Twin

Mood: 748ish
Quote:
Originally posted by duck916
yup its california... gotta luv the weather.. i can ride all season

I wondered why i looked so summery.

not
Old 27-Jan-2006, 19:56
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Also, just to add to Shazaams link posted above, H3 mount HID bulbs ARE available from autolamps-online, with the correct mounting depth.

They also offer their bulbs in a range of colour temperatures from 4300k to over 6000k (very blue). As he says, the bluer the light the less range (penetration) you will get. I therefore always go with the 4300k bulbs.

The guy who runs autolamps used to work for Philips Automotive Lighting devision, so he really knows his stuff. I asked lots of questions prior to buying the first kit. I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Finally, they offer kits that have a single ignotor (as shown in the pics above), or where space is limited can supply kits with split ignotor/ballast wiring. I have always used the single unit versions.

Finally, finally , duck916's install shows the wiring has been extended between the bulb & ignitor (in order to place the ignitor under the seat).
This is not recommended as the ignitor units generate over 15kv in order to strike the initial arc (running voltage is around 300v). The usual mounting place is to fit the ignitor behind the rad.

Hope that helps,
John.