Ducati Sporting Club UK
DSC Website - Help and Notices
Information on using the site & requests for help or suggestions, as well as notices about site changes, updates and downtime.

Old 13-Nov-2007, 12:43
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
could you blow a raspberry at someone or is that deemed ott too? lol

i am against censorship etc etc but if this is how it is then thats fair enough. there is no grey area and there should be no confusion over what is acceptable and what the outcome will be if the line is over stepped
Old 13-Nov-2007, 12:51
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Well said Dickie!

There must be a raspberry smilie out there somewhere

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 13-Nov-2007, 12:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
I'm here on a regular basis but miss the posts that prompt the censorship or am I just thicker skinned and don't read into them what others do ?
Old 13-Nov-2007, 13:01
BSB Star

i think you have to be quick. the few i have seen seem to spiral out of control quite quickly.
Old 13-Nov-2007, 13:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
I'm here on a regular basis but miss the posts that prompt the censorship or am I just thicker skinned and don't read into them what others do ?

thicker skinned. I fear much of this is to do with peolpe opposing the MT and the way the club is run ratehr than me saying you are a c0k suk1ng to$$er!!

Old 13-Nov-2007, 13:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
thicker skinned. I fear much of this is to do with peolpe opposing the MT and the way the club is run ratehr than me saying you are a c0k suk1ng to$$er!!

LOL
Old 13-Nov-2007, 13:14
BSB Star

Quote:

not sure if that would be libel or not. depends if you could prove it i guess!
Old 13-Nov-2007, 13:19
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:

Paul

I am afraid that you are wrong there, this is a reaction to the way in which the Law has interpreted posting on message boards. Basically yes you can say what you like as long as it is not deflamatory/libellous/sexually offensive/racist/etc just as we all have to be very carefull in the work environment these days. In addition if you wish to make a seditious comment then need to be able to substantiate it or face the consequences.

The opportunity to make unsubstantiated serious comments/allegations against people or organisations is no longer available to us.

It is sad that society is coming to this, but this is the environment in which we all have to exist and we all need to abide by the rules that society imposes.

Cant see much chance of "Love thy Neighbour" being repeated on telly in the near future or for that matter a few of the "Carry on" films being allowed to be shown!
Old 13-Nov-2007, 13:51
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Chris, in that case sad day indeed....freedon of speech truely has disappeared in the UK
Old 13-Nov-2007, 14:08
Big Twin

Whoa hey there, just a minute!

The somewhat hand-wringing, more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger phaseology used by CB there seems to me a little at odds with the real world.

"The opportunity to make unsubstantiated serious comments/allegations against people or organisations is no longer available to us.

It is sad that society is coming to this, but this is the environment in which we all have to exist and we all need to abide by the rules that society imposes."

I cordially invite posters to consider Visordown, which many here post on. Not I'm not saying this forum ought to be like VD (before you all start wrinkling your noses ), but the fact is that freedom of expression, and, indeed, the freedom to give someone a good s l a g ging off, seems hardly to have diminished recently.

Ah, you may say, but VD's owners (now a bike mag, more or less) *could*, in theory find themselves liable in court. Well, maybe. But it's a big maybe.

For an even better example: who would be most aware of the law in this area than the talkboards of a national broadsheet newspaper? I invite posters to consider the International section of the Guardian talkboards. I can't access them at work, but I believe the link is

http://www.guardian.co.uk/talk/0,,546387,00.html

A bigger collection of free-range loonies and psychos you couldn't wish to meet! I know of their rep cos I post on their film and TV board, which fortunately is quite different. But the point remains that if the Guardian can preside quite happily over that farrago, we may be worrying just a teensy-bit too much.

I concur with the poster upthread who said that we should conduct ourselves without personal abuse etc.

Hoever, I also think that occasions some posters should follow couchie's good example, and grow a rather thicker skin!

Last edited by moto748 : 13-Nov-2007 at 14:21.