Ducati Sporting Club UK
Stolen Bikes
Please read the guidelines on this thread before posting an entry

Old 16-Jan-2006, 12:01
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Relax before you have a heart attack

You could always try the following;
Buy a proper old mans bike, paint it red and then put some duacti stickers on it, this will makes it less desirable to steal.
Reading your letter makes me never want to got out on my bike ever again.
If your world is like the Mad Max one then maybe you may need to talk to someone.
Isn't that what insurance is for? you buy your dream bike, pay your money to mr big insurance business, some sad person accidently takes home the wrong bike, you wake up the next day and also get shafted by mr big business too.
I'm sure we all get shafted at some point it's how we deal with it that counts.
I'm getting done by our house insurer at present, nieghbour died in his house fire, ours got smoke damaged they have been trying everything to get out of sorting the claim.
Thats life.
Old 16-Jan-2006, 12:13
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up

funny old thread this one.

why pay £10k for a bike if you cant afford to insure it fulyl comp. im paying £375 fc for a 748 with all my extra's covered and thats after a driving ban and a claim. i didnt have a garage so my old bike was locked up with chain in the back wheel, disk lock on the front wheel and it was nicked between 11.30 and 12.00am one tuesday dinner time whilst i walked to the local chippy for some dinner. tell me how its my fault my bike got nicked you tosser ??? what more could i have done.
Old 16-Jan-2006, 12:37

MOVE TO SPAIN

BUT remember, certified Ducati mechanics are extremely hard to find here... BUT nobody steals Ducati as there's no secondhand market (very few ducatis), you'd have to switch youyr driking habbits from beer to red wine and cope with slim brunettes which love to play hard-to-get (no girls-drom-Essex-kinda-attitude unfortunately)
9 dry-months a year for an excellent choice of race tracks and very few policemen on our twisted roads... paradise
Jesus has heard your prayers
Old 16-Jan-2006, 13:28
RCA

Hi there, thought we had put this one to bed?

We have strayed somewhat from my original point, which to summaries was, be vigilant.

Haga-prisas - will be over in June for the Catalunya MOTOGP, have the red ready! Whats your house number?

[Edited on 16-1-2006 by RCA]
Old 16-Jan-2006, 22:52

Mood: Not bad, considering...
We ARE vigiliant mups thats wat we are tryin to tell you...

Hola Haga-prisas Madrid me encanta, hace anos que hemos quitado Paseo de la Habana 72...entonces no hablo tan bien que antes... Me gusto mucho espana...hasta luego... BC
Old 16-Jan-2006, 23:16
RCA

Quote:
Originally posted by Bikerchick
We ARE vigiliant mups thats wat we are tryin to tell you...

Think you can relax, that bus of yours aint going anywhere.
Old 17-Jan-2006, 10:23
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
Hi there, thought we had put this one to bed?

We have strayed somewhat from my original point, which to summaries was, be vigilant.

Hmmm
No, actually your original post went much further than that as did your subsequent replies. Your suggestions as to how to be 'vigiliant' were extreme and you advised everyone that if they werent as 'vigilant' they deserved no sympathy.
Old 17-Jan-2006, 10:43
RCA

Quote:
Hmmm
No, actually your original post went much further than that as did your subsequent replies. Your suggestions as to how to be 'vigiliant' were extreme and you advised everyone that if they werent as 'vigilant' they deserved no sympathy.

Correct, they dont. Leaving keys in the ignition? Taking a £20k bike to a track on a race day? You expect me to sympathies? You have a lot to learn.
Old 17-Jan-2006, 10:54
500SD

thanks for the lesson
that would be "sympathise"

my problem with your suggestions is that to follow your example would mean effectively not using the bike in many peoples cases

for example, i commute on whatever bikes i own - have to leave it unattended
i travel to 'see' things on a weekend - have to leave it unattended
i go to see friends on my bikes - have to leave it unattended

so do i deserve my bike stealing?

a bike is a mode of transport - a superb one i will grant you but transport all the same
transport is to get you from a to b
when you get to b you tend to doing other things, not just sat admiring the bike no?
the fact that you do it on a sportsbike is irrelevant
the fact is most people will leave their bikes unattended so presumeably they all deserve theirs stealing as well?
Old 17-Jan-2006, 13:21
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
Hmmmmmmm, ....... I have to agree entirely with stealth2: We seem to be missing the whole point.......

Those that steal (amonst other crimes) are those that should be targeted, and dealt with (questions of incarceration, punishment, & rehabilitation would fill their own thread).

It is reasonable to remove keys & rely upon a steering lock in a law abiding environment to remove overt temptation. After which, If a person is determined to steal it demonstrates deliberate intention and it should be the criminal elements that are focused upon rather than the easier & morally bankrupt option of forcing the remainder of society to adopt restrictive and unpleasant measures of security.

For me, this general principal applies to all aspects of civilised human behaviour, otherwise we descend into chaos & anarchy............

PS France & Spain are magnificent, & Britain has its charms (but they do not include the Planning System..)