Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Oct-2004, 14:30
Mille

slick tyres

i am going to invest in a new set of tyres for me 900ss which will only be used for track days from now on advice please on tyres oops can of worms comming up i feel i have never tried slicks before are they much better than a good road tyre on a ss which dont have too many horses also where would i order them from cant see them advertised on most tyre web sites any help please thanks
Old 24-Oct-2004, 15:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
IMO, I'd go with something like the Supercorsa/Rennsport type of tyre. They're going to give you all the grip most people will ever need and you don't need to run warmers, which I'm sure you'd need if you were running slicks??
You'd also have a degree of margin in them over slicks if it rained or was damp.
You could also look at some of the sticky tyres used by the 400's etc. These will be a lower rating than the SBK Z rated ones and may suit the bike better?? Don't know if the sizes would suit though?
Have a talk with Tyreman or Mike at Robsom Racing. They'd probably be able to point in the right direction.
Old 24-Oct-2004, 17:02
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Stephen - nice to see you are as busy as ever

I'm running Pirelli Diablo Corsa's - but I think even these are overkill now as one of my mates is just as fast on standard Diablo's.

I seem to remember MCN testing them at only 1 second a lap slower than the Corsa's (on an R1 no doubt).

Have Fun - Frank
Old 24-Oct-2004, 17:12
Bevel Head

I like to run a Diablo Corsa front (120/70) and a Diablo rear (170/60 or 180/55). I like the better feel the Corsa front gives me than the regular Diablo.

They heat up quick. I used them in the wet recently at a trackday, and they were great. They surprised me in how much lean angle I could get in the rain.

Just make sure you run the appropriate pressures to get the max performance.
Old 31-Oct-2004, 19:05

I've never hit the track before but I run Pirelli Diablo Corsas and they grip just fine. The wear on them, however, might be a different story since I use them for commuting as well.
Old 26-Nov-2004, 19:12
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Slicks are a bit ott imho.
You will need tyre warmers and if it's damp or wet you'll sit the session(s) out.
I have run slicks several times and they're great but unless you're really on the pace (I'm not) and have 2x stands, tyre warmers semi-slicks have more use.

World Super Sport races don't need them, so why would you?

Tim