Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 15-Jun-2003, 21:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Track day tyre wear, is this right?

my first track day on a circuit that was n't covered in standing water yesterday and my rear tyre seems to have blistered and chunked itself apart in the most odd way, - and other Ducs were n't.
Unfortuantly I know it was n't me riding the thing to fast, - as I was not having a good day, (not in the right frame of mind, but more of that in general messages).

The front tyre looks as a normal track day tyre would, - even blistering accross the width of the tread, however the rear ( a Michelin Pilot sport with only 150 miles on it) was what looked like tearing chunks off of it about 3/4 way accross the width of the tread. The Michelins have diagonal slash cuts going accross the tyre and it was from the leading edge of of this slash cut starting about 1 1/2 inch wide narrowing to a point just in front of the slash cut behind. Looking at the cut tread of that slash cut now it looks to have chamfered off itself, - to me this is odd, andnot right. Checked the presures in the paddock 36psi rear, 32 psi front, perhaps a bit high, but not enough to make a difference. We checked the rebound, it was a bit slow, so slackened that off 1/2 a turn, - next time out the effect was not so extreme, but still there.

The other mates that i was with thought it to be the way I was riding (like a pussy), - i was not carrying enough corner speed through the 2 main corners (Lydden, so there are only 2 fast corners really), - i was doing my braking before the bend, - and whilst the bike was still leant over feeding in the power from low revs as I rode through the corner, - to me this is how you ride a Duc, - (ok with a bit more bottle on the way in). At first we thought it might be the v(L?)-twin torque ripping at the tyre, - but had a look around the paddock, and it was just me.

So if anybody has any clues of experience I would love to know what is going on, - could it be a sign of a dudd rear shock?