Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Feb-2006, 22:30
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
removal of front exhaust manifold

Hi all
Got a slight problem in removing the manifold from the front cylinder

1) The allen bolts holding the oil cooler in place are not keen on releasing, which is making it hard to get sockets in onto the nuts. So anyone any ideas how to get the heat sheild which protects the battery out the way and also and ideas for removing the bolts holding the intercooler, I dont wont to cut them if I can help it.

2) When working with the other bolts, the studs are coming out with them, so I will just buy some new studs/bolts and loctite the new studs in. Any better ideas please let me know.

The rest is all off, a bit of a doddle really.

cheers

Derek
Old 20-Feb-2006, 22:35
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
If all you want is to remove the exhaust, why are you undoing all that other stuff?

What you need is a universal joint on your 10mm socket, and a bit of patience. Attack it lying to the right side of the bike, no worries ive done this today!

Id a studd comes out, then take the captive nut off it once its all off of the bike, then refit the stud after locking two ordinary nuts on to the stud.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 23:00
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
If all you want is to remove the exhaust, why are you undoing all that other stuff?

What you need is a universal joint on your 10mm socket, and a bit of patience. Attack it lying to the right side of the bike, no worries ive done this today!

Id a studd comes out, then take the captive nut off it once its all off of the bike, then refit the stud after locking two ordinary nuts on to the stud.

new exhaust comes with manifolds so they need to come off. I will have another go with the UJ but it was not keen on coming off as the socket was slipping. If i drop the oil cooler I can use a longer extension bar and get clear of the engine etc. Otherwise I have been using the same technique as you, ie on right side.

I will fit new studs, for all they cost, get them covered in copper ease on the nut end, loctite on the manifold end.

cheers
Old 20-Feb-2006, 23:05
BSB Star

Failing that a deep 6 point socket............
Old 21-Feb-2006, 09:33
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I have removed / fitted systems on 749/999's about 8 times now , never once have I taken off anything else apart from the fairing in order to get to the manifold bolts

As Andy B says , lie under the bike at the R/H side , get a torch shine it up so you can see what you are doing and it's a doddle
Old 28-Feb-2006, 01:41
Ducati Meccanica

For the benefit of future viewers. I tried a 6 hex socket and the UJ ideas but with no luck. The inside bolt on the oil cooler is a little tricky to remove, so I removed the battery and the three bolts that hold the battery casing in place, pulled it out the way and got the last bolt, kerbside upper, off no problem. Just got to put it all back together now.
Old 01-Mar-2006, 03:37
Mille

thought it mite make you feel better to know I've just do mine and the rad bolt was the same, just rounded of, I used a 1/4 drive but it was fiddle,
Old 01-Mar-2006, 10:45
BSB Star

the nuts dont round themselves off though............it is tricky but just needs a bit of application!