Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I haven't been to the TT yet but truly hope I get the opportunity before they stop it.
I think it is a riders choice to enter the TT its not part of a race series that would cost points if they were to miss it, and I am someone who excepts the possible consequences of riding powerful sports bikes fast.
when Men or Women push the boundaries accidents are inevitable.
that's the attraction of the TT for me the closeness the noise the smell, just the outright danger
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:17
500SD

Quote:
[i]I also find the comments on knowing the risk etc. to be banal at best.

Sorry, I disagree. (I would cos they were my comments) Everyone who races at this event is aware of the risks and they still continue to race, even when a tragedy has occured in the preceding race.

We all accept a degree of risk in what we do everyday, admittedly the TT is an extreme example. I for one would not like my choices to be made for me by the government. There are many who feel motorcycling should be banned altogether to protect us from ourselves. I have heard the same argument used against my other passion, Rugby.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:22
Mille

I pretty much stated my thoughts on Gus's thread which, it was rightfully pointed out, was pretty tasteless of me but I felt so strongly about this issue. Like Jen, I feel that the TT has had its day and I've just read on another website that in the year 2000, 200 people had met theirs ends there and several more have died since.

Oh its challenging alright and you could argue that some riders probably got killed in North Wales last weekend doing what they love doing but they were not taking part in a regulated and supposedly organised event which has a duty of care to its competitors.

The worst thing of all is that an inquest is held for each fatality and the verdict is always misadventure but nothing ever changes and people continue to die each year seemingly with little or no improvements to safety.

Rant over.

[Edited on 13-6-2005 by Michael J]
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:29
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
I have heard the same argument used against my other passion, Rugby.

Mmmm, yes, people die all the time playing rugby????

Please note, my comments were just that, my thoughts on the issue. I am not trying to force these thoughts on anyone, just adding my part to the debate.
You may note I added that I don't agree with the TT in it's present form. I'm not saying ban it, just change it. Some better marshall training might be a good start.
I don't see how people can blather on about superbikes being too fast for Mallory park and yet see it as ok for them to be raced flat out on public roads. It is hypocrisy at it's best.
I am all for freedom of choice, or else why do I do speeding? But there are limits, and I feel that the TT has been pushing those limits for a long time now.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:47
500SD

Actually Desmojen they do. Maybe not all the time but I have been on the pitch when it has happened and serious injury is a regular hazard. I have also had friends killed in car and bicycle accidents but it will not stop me cycling or driving.
The TT is an extreme case but imho that does not mean it should be banned. As long as it is allowed people will choose to test themselves on this course, despite the risk and there will be people like me to admire their skill and bravery.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:49
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Then again Irish road racing pushes the same limits every round, races like the Skerries and Killguest1 are on very narrow roads, as I said last week the TT is now like another round of that series with a few guest riders added.
I see no reason to restrict the superbike class just restrict those that are allowed to enter, a minimum qualification not just on practice times which although are probably to low do stop riders pushing to hard in practice week just trying to quallify.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:50
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Jockys have been killed riding in races, horses are forced to race they dont have a choice, when a horse breaks a leg in a fall its shot!! when a bike is trashed its salvaged and rebuilt. have they banned horse racing ??
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:52
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionicle
Jockys have been killed riding in races, horses are forced to race they dont have a choice, when a horse breaks a leg in a fall its shot!! when a bike is trashed its salvaged and rebuilt. have they banned horse racing ??

no, but the government have banned hunting - the nursery/training ground of the NH race horses
Old 13-Jun-2005, 15:55
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionicle

no, but the government have banned hunting - the nursery/training ground of the NH race horses

can't see them prosecuting tho, 'storm in a tea cup' bill, and its not the horse riding etc they banned its the 'inhumane' way of killing the fox
Old 13-Jun-2005, 16:06
500SD

I think the TT will be killed off by other pressures than legislation. The tourism benefits are outweighed by the negative publicity in the eyes of many people who live on the island. After the centenary it may be that pressure from the locals kills it.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit