Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Oct-2004, 00:40
Montjuic

First timer ST?

I need some advice guys...

I passed my full bike test in May and am hooked! I went and bought a 'sensible bike' on the advice of my instructor and I got myself a very nice Yamaha XJ600s. It is a great bike and I've done about 3000 miles on it already but I am already getting itchy feet for an ST. I love the look of these bikes but have never ridden one. My budget won't stretch beyond £3k so I'm guessing that I'm looking at an ST2.

Is there anything wrong with an ST2 that I need to know about? Would I be better to stretch a bit and try for an ST4?

Any advice from you seasoned owners/riders would be appreciated!

cheers,

Dunks
Old 25-Oct-2004, 09:37
Ducati Corse

I've had both bikes and personally i much prefer the ST4. I know some will say that the ST2 has more low down grunt but to be honest i never noticed it!

If you get one give it at least a couple of weeks to convince yourself that youve made the right decision. They take some getting used to after jap bikes.

ST2's are cheaper to buy and service. Dont worry too much about mileage but make sure it has a current service history and that its not due a big one soon. A 6000 miler can cost over £600 on an ST4.

Dont worry about the clutch noise, as long as it reduces when you pull the lever then they all do that sir!

Oh and get one with the panniers already fitted, doesnt appear to make them worth any more second hand but they cost about £500 if you want them fitted afterwards.
Old 25-Oct-2004, 10:30
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
ST's-Ducati's wolf in sheeps clothing, most people are VERY suprised how fast one of these can be, both on the road and the track. Fast and comfortable(for a Ducati)-get one-you won't be disapointed. ST2 is good for about 130 which is fast enough for most people but it does get a bit breathless up th top end but has plenty of low down grunt. ST4 is good for about 145-150, very smooth and revvy, good top end. ST4S-now that's an animal, loads of low down grunt, but when you open it up and let it rev it's 'oh my god' time.
I have an ST4S-nuf said!

John
Old 25-Oct-2004, 10:47
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hello mate and welcome to the board.

Well, the ST range obviously doesn't have the glamour of the Ducati superbike range and even owners of them like me, tend not to be wild about the looks of them, even as an owner, I don't think the top fairing and headlight do the ST any favours. Having said that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if you love the looks, fair play to you.

I have an ST2 and they are vastly underated bikes. In this instance having a budget of 3K should get you a nice one, and just about the right age. If you go for a bike up to 2001, you'll get one with fully adjustable suspension all round. Later bikes seemed to come with the front suspension that currently graces the ST3 and is only adjustable for preload.

ST's in general are underated, but they handle superbly. They are a very easy bike to ride when you just want to trundle along. Although like all Dukes the clutch is heavy and becomes hard work through town sometimes (until you build your forearm muscles and tendons up anyway), they've got a low centre of gravity and riding at town speeds and in traffic is a doddle. They've got a comfortable riding position and don't put any strain on your wrists, the footpegs are nicely placed with a good compromise between ground clearance and comfort. When you want to up the pace a bit, you'll find that the chassis is excellent. The brembo brakes are not the latest fashionable radial kid on the block but they're pretty damn good, they give you really progressive braking and provide more than adequate stopping power even used hard all day on the track. Like most Dukes the handling characteristics are that they don't flick turn into corners as quickly as some bikes (although the leverage of the wider bars makes the steering nice and light) but when they're cranked over into a bend they are superbly stable. All the ST's are on the sporting side of the Sport/Tourer equation and their handling is good enough to surprise many full on sports bikes.

The chassis on the ST2 and ST4 is identical, if you go to the ST4S you get Titanium Nitrided forks, Ohlins rear suspension and an alloy swingarm plus lighter wheels, oh, and of course on the 4S you get a 996 motor punching out about 120-ish Bhp (a lot of bike for the money, but probably not yet available for £3K).

So ST2 or ST4? The difference is that the 2 has a water cooled two valve per cylinder motor derived from the SS range, the 4 has a four valve per cylinder motor from the 916. In terms of horsepower, they pan out at Ducati quoted figures of 83 Bhp (ST2) and 105 Bhp (ST4). These figures don't really tell the full story though, the two valver has terrific low down torque and will let you really fire it out of corners on a wave of smooth predictable power. The ST4 will do that as well, of course, but it starts to produce it's extra power higher up in the rev range.

On the road, what the ST2 will give you is a bike that will keep up with almost anyone except for mentalists. I have never been left behind on rideouts, and it surprises a lot of people on more exotic Dukes. I find that I can keep up with 748's quite well, 996's, 999's and the like obviously pull away on the straight bits, but not enough to disappear. I'm not attributing this to being a riding god, my mate Glyn also has an ST2 and we're always in touch on the Beds/Herts/Cambs regional DSC rideouts. We've both done trackdays with this club as well. The last time out I was in the fast group and wasn't embarrassed by lack of pace. Sure I got overtaken, but I also did a bit of overtaking. If Glyn had been there he would've been as well, 'cos he's probably just a tad quicker than me ('cos he's young and foolish).

Then of course, when the time comes for a bit more relaxed riding, you can just load the panniers up (it's worth trying to find an ST with the optional hard luggage 'cos if you want it later it'll be expensive) and take off for some touring with a pillion on the back. The pannier carriers are a bit ugly, but you can take them off in about 20 minutes (and on again in the same amount of time) if they bother you. At sedate touring speeds you'll get something like 180 miles to the tankful (about 130 if you're wringing it's neck round the lanes)

All in all the ST2 is a vastly underated bike.

If you do want to stretch to an ST4, they will be a little more expensive to buy, but they'll also cost a little more to insure and maintain as well. The four valve per cylinder engine is a little more complex with subsequently higher servicing costs. Servicing quirks on both bikes comes down to making sure that the cambelts are changed regularly, although Ducati say change them every 12K, most people do them at every service (6K intervals) 'cos they don't really cost that much in the scheme of a service and the consequences of having a belt snap are potentially dire with valves hitting pistons and nasty stuff like that. My personal opinion is that the belt change thing is a bit of a hangover from earlier days, now that the belts are reinforced with kevlar you don't seem to hear any horror stories, but I guess people (myself included) seem to err on the cautious side. As far as servicing goes, you need to make sure that any Duke you buy has a full service history, but don't worry unduly about high mileage. In many ways a higher mileage bike that has been well maintained is a better proposition than one which has been bought on a whim and spends most of it's life in the shed, back to the cambelts for a moment, if the bike spends a long time unused the belt can develop a sort of kink where it's been sat wrapped around the pulleys (they're quite a small radius) and that can give you trouble, along with the fact that an unused bike will sit there gentle perishing away instead of getting out there on the road doing what it was designed for.

2 or 4 you can't go wrong, great bikes

[Edited on 25-10-2004 by Jools]
Old 25-Oct-2004, 12:18
Mille

Ditto to all of the above from Jools. I have the luxury of having an ST2 and 996 in the shed, but honestly if anyone had to go it would be the 996. The ST2 is a great allrounder. As Jools says, you can load it up and head off on long runs, have a blast around the B roads and keep up with just about anything or even throw in the odd track day and not be embarrassed. Regards the decision to go ST2 or 4, I have ridden both and thought that with a well tuned ST2 (mine has pipes and matched chip) you had better low down and only missed that final bit up top. For me, the low to mid range is where you want to be on a Ducati on the road so I could not justify the extra expense of the ST4, both purchase and running. Now the ST4S, that is a different issue. If you could stretch to one of those, go for it!!!!
Old 25-Oct-2004, 13:29
Montjuic

ST2

Guys,

That is really great.. thanks for the info.. I thought that the ST2 was somehow a lesser bike than the ST4.. but it seems not.. I'm not one (yet!) for fast mad riding.. up to 80 is fast enough for me at the moment, but I would like a bike to be a bit more gutsy than what I have.. it is affordable and I was looking for some encouragement and that is what you have given me.

For servicing.. the nearest Ducati dealer to me is Ducati South London, based in Croydon. I'm in Orpington. Any suggestions for where to get the bike looked after? Are there any good independant guys near me?

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 25-Oct-2004, 15:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
It depends on the type of independent? Sigma Performance spring to mind in your neck of the woods, they have a great reputation. There may be cheaper options for run-of-the-mill servicing.

Then there is Cornerspeed (run by Neil aka Nelly on this board), they are in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Derbyshire. I take my bike there despite the 250-odd mile round trip and there are people in your neck of the woods who do likewise. Enough said
Old 25-Oct-2004, 16:05
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Pro-Twins at Godstone will only take you 20 minutes or so to get to round the 25, probably quicker than trawling through to Croydon.

Darren.
Old 25-Oct-2004, 19:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
jools
you've got too much time on your hands

to sum up
they are a damn good bike that can do a bit of everything

and are really good in the twistys
Old 25-Oct-2004, 19:48
Montjuic

Blimey.. now you've me all fired up and ready to spend some cash...!

Thanks guys..