Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Aug-2004, 13:42
Montjuic

Mood: got to be a worry.....!
Termi\'s

Am a new member to the board so apologies if this question has been asked plenty of times before but...

I have a 2002 749BIP and recently bought some 45mm termi's (and chip) to replace my standard cans. I have contacted four shops/experts to find out if an amatuar (me) can change over the pipes or whether the bike needs setting up properly by an expert.
Wouldn't you know it, the result is a straight down the middle two each, ranging from "it'll take you 10 minutes" to it costing me over a hundred notes.

I am hoping to get a definitive answer, any thoughts?
Old 24-Aug-2004, 14:01
Big Twin

Is it the whole system/halve sytem or slip on end cans?

The answer really depends on your ability with a socket set and a plastic mallet!

They are easy to do I think, the main problem people have with fitting them are lining them up or getting all of the bolts to go back in correctly, as Italian welding appears to leave a little to be desired!

You should set aside a couple of hours so not to rush it, and if you decide to do it yourself, then lots of people (ie hundreds!) have done it before on this site...so the help/tips will be there.

Go on, do it yourself, and save the cash for something else like some ear plugs and tinted visor to hide your big grin!

[Edited on 24-8-2004 by Harv748]
Old 24-Aug-2004, 14:09
Big Twin

Ignore me...just noticed its for a 749...not a 748...although probably the same applies!!!

Doh

I'll get my coat
Old 24-Aug-2004, 14:25
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Harv as its under the 748/916 section the 749 is probably a typo.
Fitting exhausts is fairly simple especially if you have a spring puller handy.

Fitting the chip is again easy with a proper Eprom extracter but can be done without one, just be careful when inserting the new chip to make sure ALL pins are aligned and go into the socket properly.
Also becareful what your wering and what your standing on as Static can damage the chip. Earthing yourself out before hand is a good idea or use a earth strap.

Kev
PS welcome to the DSC mad house
Old 24-Aug-2004, 14:39
Montjuic

Mood: got to be a worry.....!
first attempt on the board and I make a typo about my bike!! it is a 748 (eight) BIP....things can only get better...

so there is no problems/issues with the fuel mixture if I do it? I have bought the end cans only.
Old 24-Aug-2004, 14:40
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The reason you probably got the wide range of answers is because there are a couple of way to tackle this.

One is to simply swap over the cans and the chip, without touching anything else. It will run fine, bit won't be setup as good as it possibly could.

The other is to swap everything over then fine-tune it by adjusting the fuel/air mixture ratio, resetting the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and all sorts of other fiddly stuff to get the fuelling as close to perfect as possible. While this will run really well, it takes a lot longer to do hence the higher cost.

If it was me, I'd swap the cans & chip over myself (no more than two hours to do this) and take it out for a ride. If it runs like a bag of spanner you can then take it to a dealer or place of your choice to get the final tweaks done.

The exhausts can be fiddly, especially if they've not been off in a while, but the careful application of WD40 and a rubber mallet usually works wonders for me
Old 24-Aug-2004, 14:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
careful application of WD40 and a rubber mallet usually works wonders for me

Makes the mind boggle