Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Apr-2005, 15:27

Mood: how much-youre avin a turkish
electrical fault y2k 600 monster

hello ducatista,ime a recent convert to the italian brand and my knowledge of the marque is limited.my bike has the following fault<s>.no neutral light<not switch or bulb>.with killswitch set to run side stand warning light is on with stand UP,flick stand down and the light goes out <relay under seat clicks in and out.>with handlebar killswitch set to off the side stand light goes out.engine turns over in gear.it starts and runs errattically,with the sidestand light flickering. i would call myself a reasonable spannerman others say im better than that.i would be very grateful indeed if anyone can point me in the right direction on this one!thanx alot richie
Old 24-Apr-2005, 20:01
Mille

Mood: starting to feel better
my 2001 dosen't have a side stand light
just been working on a 99 bike and that dosen't ever

dosen't sound std.!

sound like it's got a side stand bypaas loom fitted
but the diode is the wrong way round
Old 24-Apr-2005, 20:04
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Sorry Richie, I can't help you because I'm not knowledgable enough.

But you can get me a glass of wine while your at the virtual bar? Welcome to the club.

There's plenty of good advice around in this club so someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.
Old 25-Apr-2005, 06:07

my electrical fault

thanks for the help on this one fellas.Idont think my bike is fitted with a bypass as i dont have an abundance of connectors in the area where the wiring from the stand joins the main harness.I will check this out 2mrw,but am 99% sure I would have spotted it.putting the stand down does kill the motor and the light,in fact its the only way to kill the light.i downloaded a schematic diagram @work 2nite <just got in ,knackered>so ive got much more chance now.hopefully ile post the solution 2mrw night but dont stop mulling it over,once again cheers richie
Old 25-Apr-2005, 08:29
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Sounds like a dodgy relay.
Have a look at the little black Seimens relays beside the battery.I have had to replace two of them on the wifes Monster.They cost around a fiver.
Old 25-Apr-2005, 17:00

my electrical fault

cheers keefyb i will try swapping that out. i can hear it switching but that doesnt mean its right.
Old 25-Apr-2005, 22:51
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by richardb676
cheers keefyb i will try swapping that out. i can hear it switching but that doesnt mean its right.
Yep that's right.The ones on her bike were clicking,but thats all they were doing!
We keep a couple spare under the seat,just in case!
Old 26-Apr-2005, 15:25

hi chaps especially keefyb tried swapping relays . its still the same unfortuneatly.any more ideas?im still feeling adventurous by the way!!!!!
Old 27-Apr-2005, 00:18

my electrical fault <eureka +drat>

you might be interested to know,Keefyb,that ifound the fault . the 2 red/black wires that feed the relay from the fuse box have chafed on the monoshock linkage,right by the relay, shorting out .i dont know if you are intimate with the loom but according to my manual there is a direct path via the kill switch all the way to the cdi boxes and the wiring for the neutral light and sidestand cutout.so there you go ive blown my cdi"s.what do you think ?cheers mate best wishes richie