Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:22
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil2
I have no idea dude............as far as i was concerned no club funds were used other than the explaine DUK truck.........

interested to hear how the "ordinary" DSC members contribute.?....this is not a dig !! its a genuine question to you as a dsc member who does not race in DD.?

please dont think for a second that i dont think they do....!!

I don't consciously contribute in any way shape or form, but - if the MT spends money from club funds, then I do by default. I have the choice to leave the club if I don't like the way the MT spends the money.

Luckily, as I've said on numerous occasions - I'm more than happy with the way the club is run, with how my £20 is spent etc. and I'm not complaining, but if it is still a DSC series, with DSC funding, then surely the views of DSC members need to be heard.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban996
If no club funds were ever used - what is the '£1025 - Cost of DesmoDue' quoted in the 2005 Financial Review, by David B Burnie, 14/02/06 - viewable on the Members Area?

I don't have a problem as such - but let's not forget that the ordinary DSC members have contributed to your series.

that is the truck ( I think, - well it must be as that was the only cost), spend was 2005 shown in 2006 at the 2005 AGM which takes place in 2006!!

BUT we should not be getting into a divide over this IMO. It is not "your" series; it is "our" series. As I said above the cost of the truck was put down as DD, - but as Chair I saw it as an opportunity for the wider club, - there really should be no them and us. This is a club activity, all members are given a chance to take part either as a rider or a spectator, - (and as a mere spectator the series last year gave myself and family a lot of entertainment). This club was started as a way of bringing people together that have an interest in the many areas of Ducati ownership, - not so as to divide people into trackday-ers, rideout-ers, desmoDue-ers and SwissBank-ers.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:29
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Here's my take on the DD expense thing:

Assuming there IS a DD expenditaure in club funds...
The ordinary members (is there any other kind?) do contribute a part of their membership fee to DD. But that's just in the same way as every member contributes to every other expenditure, whether they make use of the benefits of the purchase or not.
I pay my £20 a year and leave it up to the MT do do what they feel best with that money - it's not for me to say others can't enjoy a service just because I don't want to. If I weren't happy to have part of my membership fee spent on a particular activity then I'd either keep my money or raise my concern at the agm.

Make sense?

Last edited by NBs996 : 25-Sep-2006 at 17:32.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:33
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996

The ordinary members (is there any other kind?) do contribute a part of their membership fee to DD. But that's just in the same way as every member contributes to every other expenditure, whether they make use of the benefits of the purchase or not.
I pay my £20 a year and leave it up to the MT do do what they feel best with that money - it's not for me to say others can't enjoy a service just because I don't want to. If I weren't happy to have part of my membership fee spent on a particular activity then I'd either keep my money or raise my concern at the agm.

Make sense?

yup ...
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:34
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Lets not make a mountain out of a molehill again.

Apologies for being the person to point this out but Ian and Chris have just contradicted each other. Chris, you explained that DUK provided the trophies so what trophies did the club pay for?

As I said at the AGM, and have reiterated since, the money spent on bringing the DUK truck to Brands last year was a potential boon for the club and I'm in favour of spending money in a marketing capacity for the club - not just for DD as a whole but for the wider membership. The issue was the fact that we were told that no club funds were spent on DD only to find the item in the accounts attributed to DD.

That's my take anyway.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Lets not make a mountain out of a molehill again.

Apologies for being the person to point this out but Ian and Chris have just contradicted each other. Chris, you explained that DUK provided the trophies so what trophies did the club pay for?

As I said at the AGM, and have reiterated since, the money spent on bringing the DUK truck to Brands last year was a potential boon for the club and I'm in favour of spending money in a marketing capacity for the club - not just for DD as a whole but for the wider membership. The issue was the fact that we were told that no club funds were spent on DD only to find the item in the accounts attributed to DD.

That's my take anyway.

I think he means dinner dance trophies, and there were race shirts for the "Does your boss know" awards. :-)
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:37
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
I gave the treasurers presentation at the AGM this year and whilst I dont have the details to hand at the moment, from memory not only diid we contribute towards the Ducati Truck at Bands, we had to provide racers with stickers for the series, we incurred costs for end of year trophies, etc.

This is the bit that I don't recall, and it seems that Ian wasn't aware of this either by his post above. Sorry Ian, I don't mean to pick on you or the decision I'm just trying to point out what appears to be a lack of clarity/communications on this.

When I asked the question at the AGM Chris you told me that the money in the accounts attributed to DD was for the DUK truck - nothing else. You didn't mention the stickers etc and I recall being told by either yourself or Monty at the start of last season that all the stickers were supplied by the sponsors themselves - why would we pay sponsors to ride with their stickers?!
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:38
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996

I pay my £20 a month and leave it up to the MT do do what they feel best with that money - it's not for me to say others can't enjoy a service just because I don't want to. If I weren't happy to have part of my membership fee spent on a particular activity then I'd either keep my money or raise my concern at the agm.

Make sense?

Sure does Nick.

Benefits of the DSC are down to the individual to use or not, as is the decision to be a member or not.

I enjoy the benefit of the DSC putting on a race series for me to participate in.

IMHO, there is no cost to become involved in the DD series that is levied by the DSC, you pay your money and enjoy the ride.

On balance I'd like to think everyone gets a pretty good deal, DSC, DUK, DD racers, New Era etc...

Some chunks of wisdom in this thread....
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:39
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I think he means dinner dance trophies, and there were race shirts for the "Does your boss know" awards. :-)

The DD trophies handed out I can understand being attributed to DD. But not the posting etc awards, they should have been allocated to something other than the race series.

But that's a minor accounting issue. I guess the major point is not necessarily that the money has been spent. It's that people aren't aware of where their money is being spent and take issue with being told that money isn't being spent on something only to find it in the accounts later.

But hey, I've done this to death and I'm not trying to wake a slumbering beast.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 17:43
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
The DD trophies handed out I can understand being attributed to DD. But not the posting etc awards, they should have been allocated to something other than the race series.

But that's a minor accounting issue. I guess the major point is not necessarily that the money has been spent. It's that people aren't aware of where their money is being spent and take issue with being told that money isn't being spent on something only to find it in the accounts later.

But hey, I've done this to death and I'm not trying to wake a slumbering beast.

But you've hit the nail on the head - I'm happy with the way my £20 is spent, but I don't expect to find people saying that I shouldn't have an opinion (if I wanted one) on a race series organised by the club because none of the money i contribute is being spent on it - when plainly it is.