Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jun-2005, 15:05   #1
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Change it or fine?
Rear Sportec that's done 3 track days and about 500 miles on my 70 odd hp SL.

All the edges of the grooves are worn rounded and it's a bluey colour on the edge but feels fine. I wouldn't fancy it too much in the wet but I've got a TD coming up soon.

Tyres don't tend to get in this state from racking up the miles on the road but this is the first year I'm gonna be doing a fair number of TDs. Am I going to be pushing my luck doing another day or am I just being a woose?

Darren
Old 15-Jun-2005, 15:19   #2
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
if you havnt been over to the edge for a while its probably fine when over on the edge again. but if you are in any doubt what so ever or you think it is moving about even slightly, change it.
Old 15-Jun-2005, 15:30   #3
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
It would have been blue in the centre too but the last TD was at Brands which is only 20 minutes from me so I rode home.

One and only time I've felt a tyre move on me was when it abruptely stopped a fraction of a second later, closely followed by me attempting a new UK altitude record....
Old 16-Jun-2005, 02:12   #4
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Doing loads of trackdays I tend to use these......

These have torn alot at Donington and wont do another day there, but will be fine for another day at Cadwell. It really depends how much the particular track wears the tyres.

Remember that each time the tyres goes through a heat cycle the grip is less, so they may look ok but blue, but the grip will be less.

Andy
Old 31-Aug-2005, 20:32   #5
Montjuic

Your not kidding, I've done half a dozen or so track days on my track bike and the rear spins up and slides everywhere if it's even slightly damp on the first couple of sessions. Still others give me a wide birth and it must look impressive, great fun. I wouldn't recommend using a front that doesn't grip well as front slides can easily turn into crashes. Remember if you can be fast on shite tyres you'll be super quick on good ones and sliding the rear is fun.
Old 31-Aug-2005, 21:12   #6
Big Twin

I would say that mine looked like that after one TD...and I'm usually in the novice/inters!

I'm not blowing my own trumpet...what I mean is that I think the rounding off of the groves is normal, along with the colouring. It tends to come up after a day or two.

I remember looking at the colour of the instructors tyres at a CSS and they were all running 207rr's...and they all looked the same.

I don't think its too much to worry about...but as has been said, its all about confidence, and if you are in any doubt...change 'em.