Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Dec-2004, 11:12
Montjuic

Mood: got to be a worry.....!
Eprom chip removal

Morning

Got myself some new termi's with replacement chip for my 2000 748, do I need to buy both the extraction and replacement tool for the chip and if so how much and where or has someone out there got any hints how to deal with this?

happy xmas

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by Frank]
Old 20-Dec-2004, 11:16
Mille

Mood: For Sale...
HI Frank can be done with neither but you will need a lot of light and patience, enjoy.

As long as you keep it as level as possible it will be ok i.e not remove one end and them the other.
Old 20-Dec-2004, 11:34
Ducati Corse

Slightly bent pins can be sraightened but if one snaps off then you are in trouble. Dont chip the package either. A small screwdriver can be used be to be honest if its not something you have done before then i would get a chip puller. they only cost a few quid from Maplins.
Old 20-Dec-2004, 12:27
Mille

Mood: Erratic
And whilst your in maplin get an earthing strap as well just to be on the safe side.
Old 20-Dec-2004, 13:52
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by S.P
And whilst your in maplin get an earthing strap as well just to be on the safe side.

And don't forget to plug it in as well!

Although I must say that I've actually changed a fuel chip using a screwdriver, without an eart strap and while the power was still on and it survived... but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 20-Dec-2004, 14:19
Ducati Corse

An earth strap is handy but all you really need to do is touch an earthed metal object (washing machine, metal light switch box like they have in garages or sheds) then go to the bike preferably without walking over a nylon carpet!!
Old 20-Dec-2004, 15:39
Montjuic

cheers

do we have any contact details for maplins - website, phone number etc?
Old 20-Dec-2004, 15:47
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

I won’t get into the wisdom of changing chips while the ECU is powered-up, but changing chips while the computer is powering-down is a definite no-no.

The 1.6M ECU (used in a 748) has an internal power supply that keeps it powered-up for 15 seconds after you turn the key off. It uses this time to do some internal housekeeping. If you pull the EPROM during this period, the computer isn’t EVER able to re-boot properly. This can also damage the coil drivers.

So, pull the wiring harness quick-disconnect off the ECU, and wait a bit before pulling the chip.

[Edited on 12-20-2004 by Shazaam!]
Old 20-Dec-2004, 15:56
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ - sign up for their email newsletter and you'll get some discount vouchers. These are aimed at the hobbyist and have some high-street shops which are great for getting the odd low-value item without P&P charges.

Also have a look at http://rswww.com/ which is RS Components website. Same thing but more geared towards the supply/professional market and thus may be more expensive for small orders. Chip extractor - # 423-992
Old 12-Jan-2005, 16:12
Montjuic

Eprom removal

For the sake of my ECU and back pocket, could someone offer an ABC guide to removing and replacing of an eprom chip? ie engine/ignition on or off etc etc

cheers.

A