Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-May-2003, 22:16

Mood: Still smiling
First impressions

After walking into Ducati Manchester at Easter with the idea of buying an ST4 to replace my 6 year old VFR - I walked out the owner of a red Multistrada (no 323). I saw it in the showroom and that was that - in the metal I think it looks stunning (even from the front !)

I have been riding it everyday now for a couple of weeks in sunshine, wind and rain so I have a few observations which may be of interest - bearing in mind I am an ex VFR rider.

Pros

Handling is in a different league to my VFR, for major fun I have been riding the fast and twisty Bosley to Cat and Fiddle to Macclesfield run (for those who live in Cheshire) early each morning on my way to work. I haven't even thought of adjusting any suspension settings because the cornering is so confidence inspiring, especially so in the wet.

Acceleration is rapid even though I haven't gone over 6000 rpm yet - overtaking is easy (can't comment about top speed yet), this is obviously something you all know about.

Brakes are superb, rear brake works a treat (after adjusting the pedal).

Comfort is fantastic (I'm 6ft 2in), bars and pegs are in the right place - I am getting used to looking over dry stone walls from my Ducati armchair !

Clocks are very clear.

Generally very easy to ride, low speed balance and stability is spot on, can turn on a sixpence.

Cons

Badly needs a rear hugger and front mudguard extender if you ride in the wet - lots of very awkward bits to keep clean!

Digital fuel gauge is a bit hit and miss. The fuel range indication is plus or minus 75 miles depending on whether the throttle is open or closed. Because of the fuel tank location you have to rely on the electronic fuel gauge, its impossible to look in the tank to see how much fuel is left. Yellow light = 6.5 litres left in tank according to the manual.

Mirrors are not great (by VFR standards) - my left hand mirror housing droops but the right mirror is ok.

Can be difficult to get your leg over (!) if your back is as bad as mine.

Summary

In my opinion a great everyday bike, lots of fun whether going fast or slow, in town or country, in the wet or dry. I rode my VFR pretty much all year round, to work, to the Lakes, to France and Italy and back, it took it all in its stride, it was a fine machine but my Multistrada makes me smile a lot more than I used to.

First service is due on Saturday, I'm already looking forward to the next level.

BTW congratulations on the new forums, it's a great website - especially for people new to the world of Ducati.

Cheers

Nick S
Old 14-May-2003, 22:57
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Easter? And rode it home?

Phew...Poor old Keefyboy has had his on order since November and to the best of my knowledge still hasn't got it.

Monty had the 'on yer bike' demonstrator at one of our recent ride outs and the bike looked good and went even better

Glad you like it
Old 14-May-2003, 23:26
Big Twin

Probably the only think that I would be real worried about on the Multistrada is having the engine that exposed. Not much of a problem in a country like Italy were sun shines most of the year, not so much over here. Keep on top of the cleaning as winter abuse and salty roads can damage Dukes. Although if you look after it, the finish of Dukes can hold up almost like a Honda.

Don't regret so much on the ST either. Good protection from the fairing but it is so badly designed that you never take it off to clean underneath. With an exposed engine at least you can access it.

I have got to try one soon!
Old 14-May-2003, 23:47
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Nick, glad you like your 'Strada, I loved the demonstrator which I did about 250 miles on. I have an ST4S so have something to compare it with. The drooping mirror is caused by the rivet holding it on being loose-get them to re-do it on service. If they don't it will be easy enough to do. The collar on the mirror-between it and the stem-pushes down the stem to expose the rivet. Just drill it out and replace. Hows this-brand new bike and I already know how to fix a fault, and I don't even own one-yet........

John
Old 15-May-2003, 21:56

Mood: Still smiling
I agree that winter will be a problem - I have a hugger on order and plan to fit a front mudguard extender ASAP - I am hoping plenty of washing and large amounts of Scottoiler FS 365 will keep the winter at bay, but that remains to be seen. You can tell I'm a sad old ex VFR pilot because I'm worried about winter and the summer hasn't even started yet ! After thumbing through the accessory catalogue, I thought about the belly pan as well but I decided I would rather save up my pennies for the Termis.

Thanks for the tip about the mirror John - how do you know about that ??

Nick
Old 16-May-2003, 12:51
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

I know because the demo bike from 'ONYERBIKE' had the same problem but with the right mirror. I think someone had tried to adjust it by moving the housing rather than just adjusting the glass. I moved the collar down to see if it was a screw that needed tightening but since it was a rivet left it alone.
I'm glad you are enjoying your Strada, and the Cat and Fiddle is the right sort of road for it. I have an ST4S which has been modded by John Hackett and is a missile, but I am seriously thinking of changing to a Multistrada-it is just so much FUN to ride. Trouble is by the time I add the panniers and top box, hugger and front guard extender, hand guards and termi's I reckon it's going to cost me some serious money. And that's before you start to mess about looking for more power( I know, I know, I shouldn't but I always do!)

John
Old 22-May-2003, 01:15
Bikes: Multistrada 1200S, ST4s

Monty, Are your ST4s JHP mods documented online? Be v interested in what's been done - had mine six months and *nearly* have suspension sorted - then I want to start on the rest ;-)

thanks
Richard
Old 25-May-2003, 09:41

I went to my Ducati dealer yesterday with my ST4S and before i knew it had traded in for the Multistrada, i love how it looks. I text my mate to tell him and he said i should have gone to Specsavers, still he rides a bmw.Wench and me did over 20,000 miles on the ST in a year and half and loved every minute. I think the ST has got the raving hump with me for selling it, on the way home the neautral light stopped working as did the high beam flasher then the alarm started to play up, when we got home i then found i had a rear puncture, moody or what. good luck everyone
Old 27-May-2003, 00:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood

Hey Carpy, you'll love how it rides as well mate. Not as potent as the ST4S but probably faster in the real world.

John
Old 27-May-2003, 11:29
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Nicksp, could you do me a favour? I bought a set of frame plugs last year via this site from rocket-ron for my soon to be departed 996. I was wondering whether there was any chance they may fit my soon to be picked-up MS, to replace those plain black plugs that seem to come as standard on it. Would it be possible for you to measure inside diameter (or as close as poss) of the MS frame tubing so I can, if necessary, prise my existing plugs off the 996 before the new owner picks it up? Cheers!