Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:28
Mille

Mood: whatever!
Bike Stripdown

During the winter months I am going to strip my bike right down in order to get the frame and swingarm powder coated so I'm after a little advice from anyone who may have done this before???

What I would like to know is whether there is a preferred process in stripping the bike i.e. should I remove certain parts in a particular order which would then make the overall process easier?

Also for someone reasonably competent albeit no mechanic how long is this process likely to take?

What are the best methods of recording what parts go back where etc, etc?

I have got a mate who will be helping me who is again not a mechanic but does a lot of his own servicing work etc himself so we are not total novices as such.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Regards Frazelli
Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:48
500SD

Lots of photo's

Plan the storage of the bits that you are taking off, banana boxes from the supermarket are free, strong and they stack

Bubble wrap for the plastics

Re sealable plastic bags for each set of nuts bolts, preferably the bags you can write on with permanent marker.

Kettle, Tea/Coffee. Have fun
Old 29-Oct-2005, 10:48
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
It should take no more than a veryy relaxed day in the garage, assuming you have all the necessary tools, stands etc. I use baggies to put all the fixings in. Lable each bag with the fixings locations, e.g. seat unit, battery tray. Don't make the mistake of puuting too much in each bag and you'll sson be done.
Old 29-Oct-2005, 13:26
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Masking tape or paper sticker tags around the end of each bit of the wiring loom / plug connector you disconnect with a note of where it went.....
Old 29-Oct-2005, 13:33
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
After panels/bodywork etc,

I'd say exhaust system off and then the airbox and injectors etc. That way you can get the motor out next and once that's out the whole assemby is a lot easier to move aroudn and strip the rest of the components off.

Let us know who you get on.

I'll be doing the same shortly.
Old 29-Oct-2005, 14:12
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
All as above BUT!!!!! before you do anything undo the swing arm pivot bolt and remove the shaft grease it and slide it back in. It may be seized and take some getting out, it's much easier with the whole bike together.

The pained expression on the mans face who gave me that advice made me take notice.

The swing arm is captive in the frame witch needs springing open before you can remove it so you can draw the bolt with the wheel and suspension in Place.

I plan to do the same this winter, in fact I've already started.

[Edited on 29-10-2005 by ericthered40]
Old 29-Oct-2005, 15:48
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
I started mine this week but I have to say I'm a bit nervous now as I have never dropped an engine before!
Old 29-Oct-2005, 16:00
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Oh, yes, try to release all the big nuts/bolts before you have the bike, or what's left of it, balanced on a collection of stands and chocks. Nothing worse that a crashing sound..........
Old 29-Oct-2005, 16:56
500SD

Unless you have the Ducati engine support/lift,its probably easier to remove all the parts and lift the frame off the engine,rather than lowering the engine from the frame.Then rebuild around the engine,worked for me,but then again Im no expert!.
Old 29-Oct-2005, 17:06
500SD

Its dead easy - just use your common sense and take the above advice - proper storage - lots of pics etc etc.

With my old 748 SPS I stripped it down to nothing loads of times - the most memorable was after my lowside @ Rockingham - I managed to do it with a detatched collar bone and one arm in a sling in just a few hours - on my own!!!

bodywork Off - hang it all up if you can
then I would support the engine - axle stands etc - so that you can aim to lift the frame off from it - rather than any other method - its a lot easier this way - have the frame as the fixed piece of the bike - remove everything else
obviously try and get the swingarm piviot out first - its a pig if its stuck - you will need a BIG HAMMER and lots of patience
wheels
exhaust
forks/yokes
electrics - taking pics of routing
swingarm out is pretty simple - a bit fiddly - but you can do it without breaking the chain!!!
rear subframe

You can remove the frame from the engine without draining coolant fluids - its a bit tricky and you may need to suspend the headlamp bracket and other stuff by a garage rafter etc to keep it out of the way

Some of the regulars might post some "in progress" pics to show you the various stages.

Dead easy job - just take your time - loads of pics - its a good opportunity to clean everything!

Khushy