Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Jan-2009, 21:33
500SD

Mood: ready to race
[quote=Imola Duke]Panic!

I had my 600ss on the dyno today and it pushed out 57bhp

What do i do ?

A go in class A

B dont tell no one

because we cant take another debate its the weekend for god sake

Last edited by Senna3 : 16-Jan-2009 at 21:56.
Old 16-Jan-2009, 21:41
500SD

[quote=Senna3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Panic!

What do i do ?

A go in class A

B dont tell no one

because we cant take another debate its the weekend god sake

Ok Kev.. I'll stick some chicken wire down the silencer baffles that should slow it down a bit
Old 16-Jan-2009, 22:15
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Very well put mate!

If any form of machining to the crankshaft was to be allowed, so as to allow the entrant to "balance" the reciprocating mass, then that opens the way for people to remove "excess" weight from the crankshaft "during" the balancing process. I would be interested in hearing suggestions as to how the rules could be written to ensure that this option was controlled effectively.

Chris

I have seen many sets of (car) racing regs during my career as a Club racer using standard production engines. This included writing some whilst being involved in running a championship for single seater cars. We have also had to deal with these types of issues.

Our definition of standard parts is those supplied by the original manufacturer for that type and model etc, with the stipulation that no material should be removed from or added to it. Evidence of machining or polishing would make the item illegal.

If "balancing" is to be allowed, then the regs state where the material can be removed from the parts. Most manufacturers provide bosses or other areas to be machined to allow balancing of rotating parts.

Although it is often argued that this means stripping is needed to police the regulations, in practice this isn't neccessarily the case. This type of regulation makes it quite clear what is allowed, so all competitors know where the line is, and stick to it. It is ambiguity that encourages people to devise rationales for border line mods, convincing themselves they are legal. Wholesale stripping isnt appropriate at our level, so cars are usually only subject to such a detailed check if other evidence indicated there may be a problem. The paddock is usually pretty good at smelling rats!

This approach may or may not be appropriate for DD, but I thought you might find it interesting.

PS I was riding with you on New Years Day on my wifes 750ss ie!
Old 16-Jan-2009, 22:18
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Panic!

What do i do ?

Take the 750 heads off?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 16-Jan-2009, 22:21
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler

Blimey - is that the end of the show, or just on a commercial break

Is that your Trumpet delivering the milk?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 16-Jan-2009, 22:27
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Panic!

What do i do ?

you used a fuchs dyno then?
Old 16-Jan-2009, 22:40
Mille

Quote:
Panic!

What do i do ?

Get the dyno calibration checked
Old 16-Jan-2009, 23:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
"It looks like the crank had been balanced by itself which would mean some sort of modification to either add or remove weight."

The phrase ' engine in a million bits ' merely indicates the engine is apart Kev....and doesnt even hint at the crank being balanced by itself, so thats a pretty big assumption imho, and would have been far better served by asking a question, rather than opening debate away from the original post without even so much as asking me direct. I only heard about it cos someone gave me the heads up....

In the thread you started on Ducatisti, in the very first Post you have written after the bit about the engine being in a million bits
"and the crank is ready for collection, after balancing, tomorrow"

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/des...bike-prep.html

No mention of crankshaft assembly,or rods pistons etc, so whoever it was that brung it to the attention of the RC assumed it was the crank being modified, which for most people in DD would have to be the way they would do it as many only have the two con rods and two pistons that came with the engine.

Another DD entrant was wanting to get his crankshaft balanced so that he could match it to the new pistons he was getting, so on the 13th of Jan the day before I started this thread he emailed the RC to see if it was legal, possibly after reading your thread on Ducatisti (but that's only an assumption on my part) in the RCs reply he was told that if metal was removed from the crankshaft then it would be illegal and could be sucessfully protested.

From that point I wanted to know how big a issue this was for people and was it a gray area and if the rule in place is sufficient or in need of rewording.

Or maybe we need to add a rule regarding balancing of the crankshaft assembly and how it can be done without modifying the crankshaft itself

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 17-Jan-2009, 01:23
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Fcuk me, what a thread! I need another Vodka!
Old 17-Jan-2009, 08:05
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
Chris

I have seen many sets of (car) racing regs during my career as a Club racer using standard production engines. This included writing some whilst being involved in running a championship for single seater cars. We have also had to deal with these types of issues.

Our definition of standard parts is those supplied by the original manufacturer for that type and model etc, with the stipulation that no material should be removed from or added to it. Evidence of machining or polishing would make the item illegal.

If "balancing" is to be allowed, then the regs state where the material can be removed from the parts. Most manufacturers provide bosses or other areas to be machined to allow balancing of rotating parts.

Although it is often argued that this means stripping is needed to police the regulations, in practice this isn't neccessarily the case. This type of regulation makes it quite clear what is allowed, so all competitors know where the line is, and stick to it. It is ambiguity that encourages people to devise rationales for border line mods, convincing themselves they are legal. Wholesale stripping isnt appropriate at our level, so cars are usually only subject to such a detailed check if other evidence indicated there may be a problem. The paddock is usually pretty good at smelling rats!

This approach may or may not be appropriate for DD, but I thought you might find it interesting.

PS I was riding with you on New Years Day on my wifes 750ss ie!

Douglas,

A very sucinct and to the point post which speaks volumes for common sense, thank you.

The point about individuals "beleiving" that they can interpret the rules in a manner that supports their train of thought, is very pertinent.

Ultimately in any race series (cars, bikes or whatever) there is a need for a set of rules to which everyone can compete. There has to be an element of trust within the competitors that people will abide by them so that the playing field can be as level as possible.

Within DD there is a clear statement within the rules that:

EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT AUTHORISED AND PRESCRIBED IN THIS RULE BOOK IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN

Now I would say that this is a fairly unambiguous statement. We have encouraged, and most people seem happy with, the process that if any rider is not certain about an interpretation, then they should ask the Race Committee before proceeding and therefore get a ruling. This has in fact led to a number of instances where the rules have been amended and clarified to help all competitors.

In part the rules were originally written to try and prevent the ability for people to spend a lot of money on their engines and try and rien in costs.

One little joker sent me the following yesterday:

If balancing a crank is classed as not modifying it, will doing this little lot be OK.

I could do with a speedy decision as I am running out of time to get all this done especially as I'm also considering the 6-speed conversion with a dry clutch.

One of my con rods is slightly heavier than the other and both are heavier than the minimum weight quoted by the factory, I know what I would like to do is balance them so that the meet the factory minimum weight. After all the engine will be smoother and less likely to shake apart

Same as above goes for the new pistons

Also my rear cylinder head has a lower flow rate than the front cylinder head and I know someone elses flows more than that, so I think I'll get someone to alter them so they both match the higher flow rate of somebody elses engine, so long as I don't exceed the class bhp limit I should be OK

Just been comparing camshafts and found mine have a fraction less lift than my mates and are even different to each other, I'll have to get them ground to the factory tolerance that will give the best performance. I'm not modifying them as thats probably how some left the factory.

After checking the combustion chambers one is marginally smaller than the other so what I will do is match the other one to it, a quick skim will sufice after all its not really removing material as thats how it should have left the factory it just good practice to balance them out.

Just found out XXXXXXXXXX's flywheel weighs a tad less than mine but is still within factory tolerance, I'll have to adjust mine to suit.

Waiting in anticipation.

Luickily I paged down on the e-mail and read the "Gotcha" comment before I started a reply, nice wind up and yes I nearly fell for it!!!!!

There is a question in front of the RC now about clarifying section 1.6.21, to make it absolutely clear. Though I notice that "no modifications allowed" seems to already be in the rules for all of the above intended work.

Lord Mayors show

Well my poor little 98 struggled manfully to keep up with you guys after the finish and on the way back to Bob's. That it has about 4.5bhp (claimed) and had two of us on it might have had something to do with it. I must admit I had a great day out and cant wait for the 2010 event.

The photos of some of the head gear really made me laugh (sorry Graham). One thing I think we will do at the next one is try and ride up from Wimbledon rather than use the trailer as parking is a real problem in Wandsworth!