Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jul-2005, 16:25
Bevel Head
Bikes: 1098s Tric

Mood: Tricolore :)
748R Fueling question

Just swapped my well used 22k miles 1999 748 Biposto for a sparkling 6k miles 52 plate 748R (WoooooHoooo) and so far so good.....except, the fueling seems a little erratic at 3k and so far the bike has cut out on me a couple of time and also seems to have a marked flat spot at 3k revs. Now I don't know the history in terms of the state of tune and the bike does have some "wacky" carbon race cans (not Termis) that sound awesome so what I wanted to know is a) is the 748R in a higher state of tuine and therefore needs more gas to get it off the mark without bogging down or b) I need to get the bike mapped properly as it sounds like this hasn't been done.

Note: I got the bike from Cobb & Jagger, Official Dealer in Leeds at a steal price (£3k to change!) and this includes a warranty

Thanks (and really very happy so far)...
Old 27-Jul-2005, 16:29
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
748R's are renowned for this, basically the state of tune, cams and fuelling etc (injectors) are a problem at low revs.

I think FIM do a chip that can help with this but cutting out at low rev's especially when coasting/slowing down on the approach to t/lights etc in "normal"
Old 27-Jul-2005, 16:38

Mood: Mellow
Try a JHP chip, £25 compared to £170 for the FIM. It was the one I ended up using before I went large and it was heaps better than the standard one. Keep it north of 8k and the thing flies.
Old 27-Jul-2005, 17:00
Bevel Head
Bikes: 1098s Tric

Mood: Tricolore :)
Cool. So just a TADTS issue and cured by spanking it like a rented mule

[Edited on 27-7-2005 by Martin Dower]
Old 27-Jul-2005, 18:16
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I have a 52 plate R, had it from new.
It has never cut out when coasting to a halt, i've heard this "common" complaint before but its not universal and is therefore fixable.
Old 27-Jul-2005, 18:24
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
I use a FIM chip + super unleaded, speak to Pro Twins or Sigma, very helpfull
Old 27-Jul-2005, 18:52
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
748R

Nelly at cornerspeed has set my R up fpr me, it has 50mm termis, and a DP chip, No flat spots at all occasionally will stall when dipping clutch at junctions but just learn to keep blippi the throttle!
Old 27-Jul-2005, 23:11

Hi Martin

Take a look at this recent thread covering fueling and clutches..
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm....php?tid=21729
Like the man said, wring it's neck!

Rich
Old 27-Jul-2005, 23:24
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Quote:
Originally posted by keith_mann1959
I have a 52 plate R, had it from new.
It has never cut out when coasting to a halt, i've heard this "common" complaint before but its not universal and is therefore fixable.

Keith

They rarely cut out when coasting to a halt as the fueling is shut off gently. If you come in a little too enthusiastic and shut off it doesn't always like it.

Explanation given to me was the way the shower injectors work. Means that if you shut off suddenly the fuel pools slightly on top of the bellmouth and the ecu doesn't like it, hence with a better chip it can be resolved.

Even with the standard chip if its set up sorrectly this can be minimised anyway.
Old 28-Jul-2005, 09:08
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Hi Lily
Yes, it would have been more accurate for me to say it never cuts out at all, either coasting as above but also when i'm howling around and riding it like i think it should be ridden. Lots of revs and blipping the throttle on the way down through the gears. Mine has the standard chip.