Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Aug-2005, 14:18

What is considered a lot (miles) for a 748?

After having read (with terror) Guido's account of the gearbox letting go on a 25,000 mile bike, what would you consider a lot on these bikes?

I'm just about to put my money down on a 2000 748S with 20,000 miles and am now starting to panic…

Thanks all.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 14:25
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Don't panic!!!

There's someone on here (moto748 I think) who has one with about 50,000 miles on it and seems to have much less trouble with it than the bikes that are hardly used. Might be worth having alook at some of his posts.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 15:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Moto748's bike has only gone into the menders, cos it fell over with him on a roundabout (what a careless 748 eh Fred? )
Gone for plastic works etc - engine still sound at over 40,000 miles I believe

C
Old 09-Aug-2005, 16:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
There was/is a 996 about that was 30,000 up mile in two years.

There is no reason why big mileages are are problem with decent preventative maintenance.

I put 14,000 on a 996 in three years with just routine servicing.

It has to said that bikes with even what Ducati would say are average mileages e.g. 6k a year are not too well received on the used market. But thats the same for yer jappy stuff as well.

You might hear the odd horror story on here about Ducatis but don't think the jap stuff is bullet proof by any means.

Having had a quick look at Guido's bike I wouldn't be 100% certain the gearbox is &*£!ed but only time will tell.

Ray.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 17:03
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Yeah I often get paranoid by this forum but then without it I wouldn't know the good from the bad etc.

Most of what I've actually read on here has made me feel better about things and that if you look after your Duke properly there's no reason why you won't have a wonderful relationship.

Yes there are always those that let you down but as stated above, Jap bikes are just as likely to let you down in these areas also. Some might call it luck.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 17:17

guys Guys GUUUUYYYYYSSS WADDA I DOOOOOO????!! To buy or not to buy.....

I'm gonna have to simmer over this..... 20,000 miles though.... thats loads innit? in 5 years....

Oh, Anyone know why someone would fit 45 terminogni instead of the full 50?

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by Pants]
Old 09-Aug-2005, 17:25
500SD

20,000 miles is a fair bit on any bike but it's not excessive for 5 years no.

I've been known to do 9k in a year and thats by just riding on the Isle of Man!!

If the price is right go for it.

45mm Termi's are the standard size for the 748, so they'll fit straight on, where as for 50's you'd either need a full system or an adapter.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 18:03
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I sold my 748 (boo hoo) with 25,000 on the clock (yr2k) just after Nelly at Cornerspeed had done a full service and breathed his special kind of magic on it and it was running better than the day I bought it brand new. There is something about a well maintained bike, but it's also about how it's ridden and there's also a huge amount of luck involved I think. Only need to look at poor Guy's situation, great bike, well maintained and ridden and two significant bits of bad luck.

WeeJohnyB
Old 09-Aug-2005, 18:23
500SD

I would say - BE VERY CAREFUL - somewhere in this forum is a quote about big ends going soon after a binning of the bike.

Most bikes with 20,000 will have been on their side at least once in their life - running or not!

This makes perfect sense as when a 748/916/996 is dropped (or wheelied) oil starvation occurs - someone said that big end failiure is quite common soon after a binning!

I would be very careful - gearbox, cams, big ends all VERY FRAGILE - especially when starved of oil and VERY VERY VERY EXPENSIVE to fix!

IMHO!!!

Khush

Happend to my old bike - albeit after another 6,000 miles.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 18:32
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by khushy
Most bikes with 20,000 will have been on their side at least once in their life - running or not!

How the hell do you come to that conclusion??

Quote:
Originally posted by khushy
This makes perfect sense as when a 748/916/996 is dropped (or wheelied) oil starvation occurs - someone said that big end failiure is quite common soon after a binning!

Surely if the engine is warmed up and maybe had an oil replacement, it should be fine. I can't see how binning it or the bike being on its side can contribute to oil starvation of parts if you allow the oil to settle back again?

The whole engine began its life without oil so it's got to start somewhere??