Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Aug-2004, 14:53
DSC Club Member
500SD

Eccentric Hub Problem

If you have an 748, 916, or 996 then just want to let you know of my recent problem I have been experiencing with my hub, which was not caused by the cush drives backing out. It started a week back when I decided to take the sprocket carrier off to have a closer investigation, first sign of a problem (after fine metal deposits on back wheel) was finding the nut held on lose, fears were confirmed as I found the back of the carrier had grinded itself against the inner part of the eccentric hub.
In case you don’t know the bearings inside the hub are held on by a large circlip, the danger is if you don’t notice in time and the inner hub is grinded to nothing, then the circlip will come out locking your rear wheel!!
Well after closer investigation by Tony Brancato it appears the lost of clearance can be clause by a few factors all off which could set off the other causing the problem to get progressively worse.

1 The circlip within the sprocket carrier wears the grove during use causing the clearance between the carrier and hub to reduce.
2 The bushs within the sprocket wear during use, or move, causing free play within the sprocket assembly.
3 On aftermarket carriers like the Renthal there appears to be no recess to hold the washer like there is on a std OEM rear sprocket, since the washer is only a few mm thick it can distort as the bushs and circlip wears causing free play.

With all of the factors listed the end results is a grinded hub, and a potentially safety issue. Of course if you want to avoid this happening then check your hub assembly regularly-something easier with std sprocket when you need to dismantle the whole assembly every sprocket change, and make sure your sprocket nut is not lose.
Another thing you can do which Antonye has done is to change to the later designed sprocket assembly. For me I am getting the damaged Renthal carrier machined to incorporate a recess, getting a thicker washer machined to fit it and stop any free play in the circlip grove, and replacing the bushes.

Pic of hub: you can see how the part were the circlip is has been grinded away.
http://i.domaindlx.com/karl999r/Hub.jpg

Pic of Renthal carrier
http://i.domaindlx.com/karl999r/renthal.jpg

Pic of a std rear sprocket: showing the recess for the washer.
http://i.domaindlx.com/karl999r/stdsprocket.jpg

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by Karl]
Old 13-Aug-2004, 15:03
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Just had a similar problem on mine - although I had no idea about it until I had Riverside put new rubber on... I'm not mechanically minded enough to know what it's all about but they tell me they've put it right - don't know whether it was caught early or what...
Old 03-Nov-2006, 14:46
Mille

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my eccentric hub being grinded by the rear sprocket.

The problem i have is that the hub was so wrecked that that the circlip that holds the bearing became loose (unfortunately not locking the rear wheel).

I checked at Ducati and a new eccentric hub is ~1000 EUR so a little to much over my budget.

I was thinking of inventing a system to hold the bearing in place there.

What solutions do i have?
Old 03-Nov-2006, 15:06
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Common problem, had it on mine (and posted about it here) many years ago.

You need to upgrade to the 998 style sprocket flange which does away with the circlip and uses a spacer instead. That way it doesn't wear and doesn't grind your hub away either. It even works with hubs that have been worn already.

Have a search for "sprocket flange" as it should give you lots of results.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 03-Nov-2006, 17:13
Mille

Yep, i checked indeed and i have the circlip old type flange. Is there anyway how i can adapt this type so i don't have the problem anymore?

I checked for a used 998 flange and i couldn't find any
Old 03-Nov-2006, 17:17
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

No, I don't think they can be adapted as they are different sizes.

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 03-Nov-2006, 17:20
Mille

Where can i buy a used 998 type one?
Old 03-Nov-2006, 18:54
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Trawl the usual breakers and ask on all the online forums.

I think Frank (Iconic) has a spreadsheet with a list of breakers in it that may be of some use.