Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 02-Dec-2003, 14:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
ACU Competitor Training Course

Just received the application forms for my race license next year from NewEra MCC. With it came a notice from the ACU that new license applicants for 2004 must now attend a 4 hour training course apparently to be taught not to sue people when you are run off the track. Oh, and that we'll be an additional 50 quid, sir, and by the way you'll need to get yourself down to Rugby on a weekday!!! WTF!!

Dampens my resolve to go racing next year. Wasn't really looking for more red tape!
Old 02-Dec-2003, 14:53
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Seems odd Felix, that you have to be taught NOT to sue someone....sounds like a money making ploy to me.

Normally the signing of a disclaimer will suffice.

Sound like you're on the way tho....crikey is it that time already
Old 02-Dec-2003, 15:07
Ducati Meccanica

I agree with you, Guy, although no doubt WJB will be along shortly to set me straigt. When I talked to the ACU earlier they said it is because so many novices are now starting and they need to "bring their procedures in line with other motorsport regulatory bodies elsewhere". I expressed my displeasure in no uncertain terms and she finally came to the real reason: Insurance and law suits. It sounds to me like they are covering their arses and charging every novice another 50 quid. Keep in mind that the license fee is actually 35 quid! The person was whining about having to cover the costs of the training program, but the first two dates are already full!

It's shite, it you ask me!
Old 02-Dec-2003, 15:12
Ducati Meccanica

Maybe I should take them up on their clause: "If you have any worries that you may find the end of course test difficult to complete, please call 01788 566419."

I think I'll call and claim that I am suffering from "post traumatic test syndrome".
Old 02-Dec-2003, 16:29
Big Twin

I think that Bemsee have a test day like that which is mandatory.

It makes sense IMO on safety ground so that everybody is aware of standard practices, flags, etc... There is probably a Legal obligation for that indeed.

Also I think that Bemsee have a practice start so that you effectively see how it is like to have a standing start and try and negociate the first corner with 20+ furious around you.

If I was going racing I would think that I would benefit from such a course indeed.
Old 02-Dec-2003, 17:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Excuse me for butting in on the thread...but weren't you all "novices" once?
And... dont we all have to start some where? Isn't that how we get good anyway? Practice?
A disclaimer sounds good enuff 4 me...?!
Old 02-Dec-2003, 17:43
Ducati Meccanica

I'm just miffed that I didn't join two months ago, when I could have avoided this additional requirement. Crap!

No doubt it will help some people.
Old 02-Dec-2003, 18:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Although no previous training or track experience was a prerequisite when I started racing,I took it upon myself to enrol in the ACU training day at Mallory, which was like a pre season test day for Novices that took place in the cold during February. The day started in the Mallory paddock cafe with a run down of the ACU Handbook, where different flags are covered. That was then followed by a walk of the circuit in the company of the then Boost Yamaha riders of Steve Hislop and Nial McKenzie. After lunch we were then let out in groups according to machine size with observers at various locations. All in all it was a well organised day and being as I had never ridden my newly purchased race bike (CBR600) before or ever having ridden on a race track I found it well worth the cost. which in 1998 was £85 from what I recall.
Old 02-Dec-2003, 19:16
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
I must agree i do think it a rip off,but i've sent my form off and i'm booked for the 12th jan.....it mean i have to take a day off which ****ed me of more then the £50 pounds,but as soon as i pass that, racing here i come,
Old 02-Dec-2003, 19:42
Ducati Meccanica

An ACU test day like Skidlids describes would definitely be great, especially if you have the kind of instructors he had.

This is a long way from sitting in a classroom for 4 hours and learn flags, etc.

R1-Ian: I think I'll wait until you've done your test and hopefully get your feedback.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit