Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Feb-2004, 13:59
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
VFR vs ST4s VS MultiStrada

Hello, me again

I made a couple of mistakes in the last week.
First one was to go to CMW to look at an ST4s and on the way out the shop also look at the MultiStrada...
Second one was to read my way through all the MS threads !!
Consequently I am now torn as to which best suits my needs.

So, how does an MS compare to an ST4S ?
Same story as before - we are looking for 2up touring capabilities with luggage too.

I'll post the MS specific questions to that board, but thought I'd ask in here too since you guys have already been so helpful

Cheers,
John.

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by John W]
Old 10-Feb-2004, 14:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
The Multistrada is a fantastic bike. A great all rounder. If you want a bike that will scratch, tour or bimble down the shops it's really cool.

From your last post I suspect that your touring is mainly two up, full panniers, high speed autoroute type stuff? The ST4S would be better at that. Higher power, probably has a better long range seat (the multi has a pretty hard seat unless you get the comfort option one) and looks a bit less comfortable than the ST for pillions. The 4S should keep the wind and weather off you better (for certain if you're behind the fairing of an 04 model), and if we are talking about the 04 model the adjustability of the bars and the plush seat would definitely make it a better long distance tool than the Multistrada.

When you get to the twisty alpine passes, all ST's handle well and have widish bars for leverage on tight twisty stuff, so it's a close call but I reckon the low down two valve grunt and the flickability of the Multistrada would be a bigger grin.

The engine is very exposed on the Multi and really needs a belly pan to keep the crud off, but it won't ground the centre stand because it doesn't have one (unless you order it as an option). There is a slight question mark about ground clearance on the Multistrada, some people have been known to deck the exhaust shield on the RHS and bend rear brake levers (but I think they've been going for it in a big way - haven't you keefyboy)
Old 10-Feb-2004, 16:51
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
The Multistrada is a fantastic bike. A great all rounder. If you want a bike that will scratch, tour or bimble down the shops it's really cool.

From your last post I suspect that your touring is mainly two up, full panniers, high speed autoroute type stuff?

all correct except the autoroute. We normally head for the hills to play in the bends, but high speed A roads are also
okay.
Lets just say I normally wear out the edges of the tyres rather than the middle

Quote:
The ST4S would be better at that. Higher power, probably has a better long range seat (the multi has a pretty hard seat unless you get the comfort option one) and looks a bit less comfortable than the ST for pillions. The 4S should keep the wind and weather off you better (for certain if you're behind the fairing of an 04 model), and if we are talking about the 04 model the adjustability of the bars and the plush seat would definitely make it a better long distance tool than the Multistrada.
Quote:

Yeah, I understand what you are saying Jools. We normally average 300 miles a day, which doesn't sound much, but when your in 2nd & 3rd gear for most of that up alpine passes, its long enough !
I've already mentioned the comfy seat option to the wife. I should point out she went to Italy and back on the rear of a fireblade a few years back, so thinks anything is comfy in comparison to that

When you get to the twisty alpine passes, all ST's handle well and have widish bars for leverage on tight twisty stuff, so it's a close call but I reckon the low down two valve grunt and the flickability of the Multistrada would be a bigger grin.

We had a guy on a TT600 (I think-white/red/blue honda twin ?) with us last year, and he was running out of steam around 90mph, but in the twisties was awesome.
I couldn't have gone any faster (safely) on the vfr.

Quote:
The engine is very exposed on the Multi and really needs a belly pan to keep the crud off, but it won't ground the centre stand because it doesn't have one (unless you order it as an option). There is a slight question mark about ground clearance on the Multistrada, some people have been known to deck the exhaust shield on the RHS and bend rear brake levers (but I think they've been going for it in a big way - haven't you keefyboy)

heh heh, yeah I read that
I've had both sides of the vfr down (not a good idea as the stand digs in !). This is why I asked.
Are the accessories coming through from the factory any better now ?

Hmm, still torn. I guess I'll have to await the test ride, and more responses.

I don't change my bikes very often so want to make sure I buy right. Sadly can't afford to buy both of them...

Cheers,
John.
Old 11-Feb-2004, 17:24
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Ok John, my 2 cents worth.
I have an ST4S, and rode one of the first Multistrada's last year-in fact I helped 'run in' OnYerBikes demo.
Now lots of the boys, Jools, Fordie, Keefyboy, were with me and the Multistrada rocks, VERY easy to turn chuck it in at stupid angles and just gas it out extremely confidence inspiring. My girlfriend Jo reckons it is more comfortable than the ST since it is longer legged for a pillion. But, the ST4S is much stronger at the top end so for long distance at 100-110 it wins easily, at that speed the 4's is just loping along whereas the Multistrada would be working HARD especially 2 up with luggage. The 4's is great in the hills but I reckon the Multistrada would be better. Sorry to not be much help but only you know how you ride so only you can decide-you've got to ride them mate.
I can only say that I won't be changing my ST4S even though it's nearly 3 years old with 20,000+ on it-but if I could afford a Multistrada as well........................

John
Old 11-Feb-2004, 21:13
500SD

Thanks Monty. That is a help, honestly.

It seems that both bikes are cracking in their own right, but at slightly different things, and I am looking for a combination of both. Typical eh !

If I can overcome my reservations about the exposure and performance of the MS then I think I've made my mind up.

As you say, the test ride will be the decider. Well, the wife will actually but I'll have my say too...

Another couple of ST4S questions for you lot.
I see in the brochure for the 04 bike that the exhausts haveto be lowered when the panniers are fitted. Is this the same on the 03 bikes too, and does this reduce the ground clearance by much ?

Who if anyone makes front mudguard extenders for them ?

Cheers,
John.
Old 11-Feb-2004, 23:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
john

03 and earlier bikes have to lower exhausts to fit panniers as well, re ground clearance, dunno, as i have not got panniers.

pyramid plastics do a front fenda extenda i believe.
Old 12-Feb-2004, 09:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
John,

I've got panniers, although neither the panniers nor the carriers are fitted at the moment.

It's not so much that the exhausts have to be lowered to fit panniers, the panniers will fit with the exhausts in their standard position which gives more than adequate ground clearance.

It's more like the exhausts can be raised from their standard position to give extra clearance if you really feel you need it. D'ya see the distinction?

You seem to be very concerned about ground clearance? Is the VFR really bad and stung you with decking out? I refer you back to WJB's story of Monty coming round the outside of him, knee down, on a track day...with his panniers on!

Really, trust me on this, I have been on trackdays and ragged the tyres right to their very edge and nothing has touched down. Unless you use superhuman lean angles you won't have a problem, although of course if you and your pillion weigh about 20 stone each that could change things.
Old 12-Feb-2004, 09:44
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Ground Clearance

John
I have the panniers fitted all the time on the ST4s. No problem with ground clearance at all. The exhaust do "swing" up and down for fitting (or not) but it is a bit basic and they do work loose - held by a spring - have a look - after a few thousand miles you will need to tighten the lot up.

Living in the alps I find the ST4s a real work horse (or stallion actually) loads of torque. If you were nearer you could have a run up the Grimmel Pass just to see how great/fun it is.

Go on - get off the fence and get an ST4s (abs or not) its a great bike - especially YELLOW
Old 12-Feb-2004, 10:13
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Do they make them in any colour other then YELLOW then??

John
Old 12-Feb-2004, 11:27
Ducati Corse

Hmm, is that with your carbon cans Jools? Tried my panniers with the cans in the up position and they wont clip on.