Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-May-2009, 19:23
Mille
Bikes: 848

Mood: chuffed, got an 848 in the garage
ST2 rectifier problem?

I think I have a rectifier problem on an ST2 (1997). The battery hasnt been charging well recently despite daily use and yesterday I noticed drop of power at high revs and occasional missfire. Then my ride was suddenly ended when the engine died completely and the battery didnt have the power to do anything except light the dash.
A call to Rich at Luigi Moto seemed to confimed my suspicion it is likely to be rectifier failure, and after a call to Craig at Motorapido I realised being a 1997 ST2 I may be in for £200+ for a new one (the later, 1999, rectifier is only £70). Electrexworld dont have any pattern parts at the moment ("it is being redesigned") although I need to check because at the time I thought I was looking for the later part.
Any advice on whether this behaivour sounds like a rectifier would be appreciated. Plus any potential alternative to the £200+ cost for new one.
I am really hoping it isnt a generator failure, as this is nearly £700!!
The bike is in the Chippenham /Bath area
Cheers
Old 18-May-2009, 19:30
Bevel Head
Bikes: 888 Strada 888 Classic TT S2R1000 1000SS ST4S 900SSie M750 600SS

Mood: Looking for speed
You can use the RR51 Electrex if you need too, I did. It's only got two wires so you do lose the charge light option. I also re-sited mine in the air flow of the intake for better cooling. I'm local too in Bath!
Old 18-May-2009, 20:00
Mille
Bikes: 848

Mood: chuffed, got an 848 in the garage
Thats great thanks for the advice. I will phone them again in the morning. It was the RR50 I asked about before - as the bike was registered in 1999. I only found out today when the frame no. was checked that it left the factory in 1997, hence the older part.
Old 18-May-2009, 20:37
GTL

Mood: Been Testing the 3 P's (Pizza, Pasta, & PERONI!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneed
I think I have a rectifier problem on an ST2 (1997). The battery hasnt been charging well recently despite daily use and yesterday I noticed drop of power at high revs and occasional missfire. Then my ride was suddenly ended when the engine died completely and the battery didnt have the power to do anything except light the dash.
A call to Rich at Luigi Moto seemed to confimed my suspicion it is likely to be rectifier failure, and after a call to Craig at Motorapido I realised being a 1997 ST2 I may be in for £200+ for a new one (the later, 1999, rectifier is only £70). Electrexworld dont have any pattern parts at the moment ("it is being redesigned") although I need to check because at the time I thought I was looking for the later part.
Any advice on whether this behaivour sounds like a rectifier would be appreciated. Plus any potential alternative to the £200+ cost for new one.
I am really hoping it isnt a generator failure, as this is nearly £700!!
The bike is in the Chippenham /Bath area
Cheers
Is it a 2 yellow wire one or 3 ? I have a 2 wire one on the bay at the moment.
I could pull it if you want it ?

Mark
Old 18-May-2009, 20:44
Bevel Head

If it's '97 it's a two wire, I'd steer clear of the Ducati one though and get the Electrex.
Old 18-May-2009, 22:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarxuk
If it's '97 it's a two wire, I'd steer clear of the Ducati one though and get the Electrex.

Surely the later Japanese type that Ducati fitted to the 916 etc would be alright, but staying clear of the early metal lump of a reg/rec isn't a bad idea, Saying that I do know of some that are still working OK

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-May-2009, 01:11
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Surely the later Japanese type that Ducati fitted to the 916 etc would be alright, but staying clear of the early metal lump of a reg/rec isn't a bad idea, Saying that I do know of some that are still working OK

Hopefully yes, but even these are prone to problems.
The RR51 is the Electrex that fits the 916's etc if I remember correctly.
Old 19-May-2009, 13:33
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids

Hmmmm... not so sure Kev, I read somewhere on an ST site that for the 97 model year, and only for that years, Ducati had a 400w single phase alternator which is not compatible with anything else

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 19-May-2009, 15:12
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Hmmmm... not so sure Kev, I read somewhere on an ST site that for the 97 model year, and only for that years, Ducati had a 400w single phase alternator which is not compatible with anything else

I have a spare early ST regulator in my garage-will check what type.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 19-May-2009, 16:51
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Just replacing the regulator without addressing the root causes of it's failure (undersized stator wires, shorting of the insulation-damaged wires inside the common sheath, and overheating of the regulator due to inadequate cooling inside the fairing) is a waste of time and money. Replace the wiring, eliminate the in-line connector and relocate the RR first.

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=78401