Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-May-2006, 19:55
Big Twin

Bleeding Underslung Rear Caliper Conversion !

Fitted the new caliper bracket and hose a couple of days ago and have tried for hours even using a mityvac bleeding kit and I still cannot get a pedal.

I have drained a full tin of fluid out of the bleed nipple so the fluid is coming through but there is no resistance at all when the brake lever is pressed, it pushes right down until it hits the fairing.

I have done what others mentioned in lifting the caliper as high as possible , still no difference.

Everything was fine until I moved the caliper so I know it is nothing broken etc.

The only thing that has changed is that I swapped the bleed nipple and braided line over but this shouldn't have made any difference as I think the picture I saw of someone else's bike had also done this.

Any suggestions, did all others who have this conversion have the same problem ???
Old 29-May-2006, 20:24
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I swapped it over on mine........it was probably my picture..........

I ended up using the mityvac. I first put the calliper on top of the disc, and then sat the mtyvac on a stool above the calliper.

You can then watch through the clear hose the bubbles come out and the fluid return to the calliper.

The only other suggestion i can add is to put some thread tape on to the bleed nipple threads to help seal them. This will stop air being drawn through the easier route.
Old 29-May-2006, 20:30
Big Twin

Yes Andy it was your bike and after I got your email the other day I lent a Mytyvac but still could not get anything.

The guy that lent me the mytyvac said if I pop around in the morning he will put the brake on his compressed air bleeder and assures me that will suck the air out !!!

Watch this space.
Old 30-May-2006, 09:26
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Ian, check out http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...02&postcount=7. its how i do my brakes . it should work equally as good on an underslung system.
Old 30-May-2006, 14:54
Big Twin

Finally got the rear brake sorted !!

Had to take it to the nearby bike shop where they attached a compressed air bleeder on to it and after four attempts the air was eventually removed.

The brake pedal is solid now and the guy said I would never have bled it without the compressed air attachment as that normally works first time and it took four attempts before succeeding.
Old 30-May-2006, 19:53
Mille

Mood: Either bemused or indifferent
Arh how long did I try for mate. I even left the caliper hung up to by the seat for a week!

The only way I managed it was to drill a hole in the little resevoir cap and modify my "Easy Bleed" kit. With about 10psi in the tyre it blew the air right out and hey pressto a brake. Then off to JHP to buy a new cap for a few pence.

Hope this helps as I really did try every method I could thing of
Old 30-May-2006, 21:54
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Fitted the underslung set up myself.

First gripe was the hose was too short. Once that was sorted I sat the caliper on the top of the disk to bleed it. Took a clear plastic pipe from the bleed nipple in to a small jar of brake fluid. Method that worked for was :
1 - undoe bleed nipple
2 - depress brake pedal and hold down
3 - close bleed nipple
4 - release brake lever
5 - repeat 1 to 4 with regular top up of the reservoir.

By doing this it ensures the fluid and air is pumped out of the caliper and not drawn back in to the caliper when brake pedal is pressed up and down.
Old 01-Jun-2006, 11:25
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
Question

Carbon, did you switch the bleed nipple and hose round to allow shorter line ?
Graham
Old 04-Jun-2006, 00:05
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy G
Carbon, did you switch the bleed nipple and hose round to allow shorter line ?
Graham

Yep, either I ran the hose the wrong route or something like that. When I measured it against the standard hose it was exactly the same length.

I know that others on here have also had a problem with the hose supplied with the kit.
Old 04-Jun-2006, 10:19
Big Twin

After reading other posts on the supplied hose being too short I was a bit concerned when I noted that my hose was not very much longer than the standard one but after inspecting the supplied parts that came with the caliper I found that the hose had to be routed up the exhaust side of the frame rather than the brake side.Once this was done the hose was ok.

I have attached a picture of the routing.The hose looks near the exhaust but is no where near it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ducati 749R wheel 1 web.jpg (76.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by iang : 04-Jun-2006 at 10:21.