Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jun-2003, 21:04
Mille

Mood: Ducatiless, but got License back
Whats the \'whirring\' you hear on key turn?

cos mine is not doing it anymore

What should i be cheaking? I was riding along and it started cutting out every so often, as if no fuel was getting through. Then it completly died, leaving me stranded for 1.5hrs till the AA came.

Bike is now at home and I have got a spanner in my hand. What first?

Thanks in advance

[Edited on 15-6-2003 by Dude]
Old 15-Jun-2003, 21:11
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
the whirring comes from the fuel pump, check the relay connections under the seat.
Old 15-Jun-2003, 23:08
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
It could be a blocked fuel filter,a very common problem.
Old 16-Jun-2003, 00:23
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
It may be a wire loom connector.....

.....but not necessarily the ones near the fuel pump.

Often the problem relates to some work you may have done recently on the bike, which may at first seem not to be related, have you changed anything recently?

You may have just knocked a connector loose.

The pump is clearly not working, I'd check fuses and connectors....

Tim
Old 16-Jun-2003, 09:46
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Erm ... you did check that your sidestand was up?

On mine (2000 model) it has the sidestand cutout (non-flip up) and the fuel pump only primes when you flick the stand up.

Leave the ignition on and flick the stand up and down and the pump will keep priming.

If this is the case with yours, you may want to check here first...
Old 16-Jun-2003, 13:07
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
on a related matter, how long should the pump stay on after ignition.

Recently mine has had a few times where it has stayed on once engine is running when on the paddock stand. It never used to do this? Is it a probem or am i just being a bird and worrying over nothing?
Old 16-Jun-2003, 14:32
Big Twin

You can just about hear the fuel pump if you have standard cans on, you have stick your head on the tank though!
Old 16-Jun-2003, 14:45
Big Twin

U wot fella! All im saying is when I had standard cans on mine I could hear my pump whirring about on tickover, its pretty noticeable without a lid on even for me whos pretty much deaf from too much loud music!
Old 16-Jun-2003, 15:05
Mille

Mood: Ducatiless, but got License back
Not had any work done on it recently, but it could be a wiring conector. It did get a bit a bashing @ Croft in the gravel. I will try and and trace it down.

Fuse's look good and relays are clicking. I was going to remove my tank and check the circuitry upto the fuel pump (as in the Haynes Manual). Not removed my tank before, is this a twm man job?

Oh, and the side stand is not the problem. It's up on a paddock stand. When you lower the stand, it will not turn over, but will when raised.

Hopefully will get it sorted tonight or its a call to the 'local' dealer to come and collect it, over 50 miles away!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 16-Jun-2003, 17:29
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Tank is an easy job...

1. Remove seat unit to expose 5mm bolt securing tank to frame

2. Remove 5mm bolt, and pull tank gently upwards and backwards

3. Tilt tank on side to expose underside, you should see electrical connection, 2 fuel lines (one white, one black connector), and breather tubes.

4. This is the fiddly bit... first time is a bit scary... disconnect wiring, fuel lines (push the clip in, and gently pull hose connector down) a small amount of fuel will usually be spilt, and disconnect breathers.

5. remove tank from bike.

6. if you're planning on swapping filter etc, you will need to drain your tank, if you can try and remove fuel from tank via filler, but use a pump, so you don't spill it, otherwise you will need to remove the drain plug mounted at the rear of the tank, I think it's a 5mm allen bolt..... THIS IS SCARY, the bolt is loctited in, and you will need to use masses of force to shift it, first time I did mine, I put the allen key in the vice, and used the tank as leverage.

7. Once lose, open filler, remove drain plug, and drain fuel to fuel can etc, etc.

8. now loosen 3 bolt on fuel pump assembly on the underside of tank, you will also see 3 other holes in this assembly, screw the bolts you have just removed into these 3 holes, thus levering the fuel pump from the tank, you will have to use a screwdriver to lever it out the last bit.

9. Once you have done this, the fuel pump will still be connected to the tank via the black breather hoses, you will need to undo these via the jubilee clips, there is one on either side, you should then be able to get the pump out with a bit of twisting etc, etc.

10. The filter should be easy enough to swap, when you refit everything take time not to catch or snag the breather hoses, and when pushing the pump back in, watch the green O-ring seal, make sure you don't snag this, they're only about £7 or so, I have a spare at all times just incase I mess this up, although I've never had to use it yet (touch wood).

HTH.... Jon