Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jun-2006, 17:20
Big Twin

Mood: 748ish
Just my 2p would be leave it and ride the bloody thing!!
Old 26-Jun-2006, 17:36
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
yup, it takes time and effort Andy, I don't think anyone said it was easy the best way is using a digital angle gauge as that just gives you the head angle set with you on the bike. TBH once sag is set the difference 5 or 10mm ride height at either end isn't great and could be taken up on preload adjustors, not exactly a big job.

Or you could just ride it, mate of mine was out on RTL, bog standard 999R no shock mods, forks set as they left factory and I doubt if anyone was anywhere near him for corner speed, talent usually compensates for set-up, the bikes aren't that far off as they leave the factory.
Old 26-Jun-2006, 18:01
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I dont think its fair to say just get out and ride it as per your mates 999r. i know if he used the 999s on a trackday the road suspension set up would be too soft for track at even the mildest of pace.

I guess we have to just take the question as the question, and not diversify to the bigger picture of the dark world of suspension setting!

I really do believe part of the ducati experience is about the tinkering, and not just get on it and ride!
Old 26-Jun-2006, 20:19
Big Twin

Mood: r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
yup, it takes time and effort Andy, I don't think anyone said it was easy the best way is using a digital angle gauge as that just gives you the head angle set with you on the bike. TBH once sag is set the difference 5 or 10mm ride height at either end isn't great and could be taken up on preload adjustors, not exactly a big job.

Or you could just ride it, mate of mine was out on RTL, bog standard 999R no shock mods, forks set as they left factory and I doubt if anyone was anywhere near him for corner speed, talent usually compensates for set-up, the bikes aren't that far off as they leave the factory.
i had mine set up at k-tec,they said the 749-999 were to soft on the rear out the factory,mine used to squat at the rear,after they took the sag out of the rear then set up the forks the bike feels very sharp & doent feel like i boat! worked for me,ive had k-tec do my forks & im happy with 3 rings showing at top yoke.
Old 26-Jun-2006, 21:23
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro
i had mine set up at k-tec,they said the 749-999 were to soft on the rear out the factory,
that depends upon how heavy you are and whether your bike is mono or bip mine was a bip with a 75 spring i now run a softer 70 so as it came from factory it was too hard... it just goes to show that setings are individual.

Its very easy to get confused with it all and using the likes of k tech is the best way, personally my bike has 3 rings showing and 285mm on tie bar but thats what i'm happy with, maybe its not perfect but what is important is that I'm confident in it , so happier , so ride better . if i was always questioning whether its right I'd never enjoy it.
Old 26-Jun-2006, 21:29
Mille

Talking

Have a play, you can always put it back as it was but dont do it if you think it's too much for you and your tools,
I have a S and find it's much more important to get the suspension right than with a jap bike, this one bottoms out if it's too soft and you lose grip if it's too hard and that, not to mention how fast it drops in to a corner or the stability,etc
We all weigh different weights and ride differently,that's the whole point in having a bike thats so adjustable, otherwise you might as well have fixed susspention.
And as for it comes out the factery perfect if thats the case why do we spend so much of our time and money on them after we have bought them,
today I made a list of what I've done to mine since I bought it a year ago and it's a large list for a new bike.
Old 29-Apr-2019, 23:11

How to lower ride height?

Hi guys. I was wondering if the original poster ever figured out how to do this? I just bought a 04 999s from a 6'1" guy. I'm 5'6" @ 240lbs. I can't safely flat foot the bike at stops (even on 1 leg). Can you guys link me to a video on how to lower the ride height front and rear? Looking at it it looks like rotating the ride height adjustment bar in the rear. The front look like loosen / lower / tighten. But I'm sure there is a detailed description on how to do this somewhere. Please advise.
Old 30-Apr-2019, 10:39
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I've done it using a front stand that goes under the yokes (triple clamps) so it holds the bike rather than the forks, allowing you to adjust.

When I've stripped bikes before and removed forks I have used ratchet straps on the frame and rafters in the garage to again suspend the bike and take the weight off the forks. Not ideal, but it works!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!