Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Nov-2004, 15:37
500SD

Mood: Christ been away too long....
Dunks - whereabouts are you located?
Old 05-Nov-2004, 17:58
Montjuic

I'm in Orpington, junction 4 on the M25. Box Hill is about an hour from me.. although probably a bit less on the bike!
Old 05-Nov-2004, 18:33
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
ST vs SS

This conversation has got me thinking............

The plan come next spring is to upgrade from my '99 750ss to something else. I had always thought that I'd probably get a 900ss ie, basically because I really like the SS range and have no burning desire to get a Superbike.

However, after reading through the ST zealot enthusiasm here (and the fact that a good ST2 seems to be had for around £3k) I'm considering changing my mind.

Couple of questions:

- Has anyone ridden an SS (an ie mind) and an ST to compare? Specifically I'm interested in the width of the bike. I commute to work every day. The 750ss is really quite narrow and gets me through some pretty small gaps. I always assumed that the ST was a wider proposition and thus perhaps not so good for commuting.

- The ST2 has the 2 valve engine. Does it have a wet or dry clutch?

- I'm going to have to guess that the ST range has a bit more comfort factor than the SS. Although I've got used to the rock solid rear suspension and wrist crippling weight on the SS by now.

- Any ST and Multistrada comparisons? I realise the MS is going to be more expensive than a 2000-2001 SS.

Phill

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by phillc]
Old 05-Nov-2004, 19:42
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Yep, I've ridden both a 900SSie (borrowed) and an ST2 (which I own).

The width? Well the ST is probably marginally wider then an SS, but not by much. Being a V twin enables the ST to still be a lot slimmer than an in-line 4. The widest bits are the mirrors, so if they'll go through a gap the rest of the bike will. The ST riding position is better for threading through traffic 'cos you're more upright, get a better view forward without pulling your head back all the while, there is much less weight on your wrists and the bars are wider so steering is easier.

The ST2 has a dry clutch

In terms of performance the ST2 is about the same as a 900SSie. The ST is about 20Kg heavier, mostly because it's water cooled and has the extra weight of the rad, pipes and coolant and the bike itself is probably just a touch heavier but it carries the weight well and you don't really feel that the ST is too lardy. To offset the extra weight the ST has a 944cc engine with just a bit more power and torque, again the ST is fuel injected like the ie.
Old 05-Nov-2004, 19:51
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
I owned a 900ssie which I had to part with due to lower back and neck pain when riding it for more than an hour.
This was replaced by an ST2 which I found so much easier to ride and was just as quick in the twisties but could also do 400 + mile days too.
Old 05-Nov-2004, 20:06
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Ill echo what Jools has said, beings weve swopped bikes some times on a ride out. The ST is more refined and comfortable than the SS and does not want for anything in terms of performance so long as you keep it in the realms of safe road riding even on track its a good bike to have on some curcuits. It doesnt feel quite so "brutal" or directed as the SS does but I suppose thats more due to set up . When I was riding the ST I did'nt want to pull over, I felt I could ride all day long. If you take a pillion, the ST would be the way to go. 4D
Old 05-Nov-2004, 22:11
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunks
I'm in Orpington, junction 4 on the M25. Box Hill is about an hour from me.. although probably a bit less on the bike!

Well in that case.... the Kent meet at the Oakdene Cafe at the M20/M26 junction might be better for you. This Sunday - 10am I think.
Old 05-Nov-2004, 22:41
Montjuic

Thanks Lizzie.. sounds great... except that if I buy the bike I won't be home until Sunday evening.. how often do they meet?
Old 08-Nov-2004, 02:17
Montjuic

I bought it..!

Flipping amazing bike.. am very tired now and will write another message in the morning.. have just ridden back home 250 miles... just need to learn how to ride it properly now! It is bigger and heavier than the Yamaha and I need to be careful.....

First impressions are.. WOW!!

Later...
Old 08-Nov-2004, 04:17

Welcome,

If it hasn't been mentioned yet have a look at the Ducati ST FAQ doc (located at www.bike-gizmos.com) 80 odd pages of useful info to keep you busy.
cheers