Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Nov-2004, 08:30
Montjuic

Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out...

So.. I've got myself a black (December 1997) ST2, with panniers and full service history. Immaculate and rides like a dream. 9200 on the clock for £2400. I think thats a good deal but please do correct me if I've been ripped off! The power and speed of delivery of the power is just incredible. The previous owner has looked after it really well and it has had the 14 tooth front sprocket amendment. On the test ride it went from 30 to 100 in the blink of an eye... somewhat overwhelming for a novice rider (I only passed my test in May). I shall take it easy though as it is heavier and bigger than my other bike.

It sounds gorgeous and is very comfortable to ride.. I did 250 miles coming home and my shoulders did ache a bit, but that could be also from the fact that about 200 of those miles was in the rain and it was very cold last night!

My first impressions of the bike are very good.. its looks fab, rides fab, sounds amazing and is exactly what I had hoped it would be. I haven't properly worked out the fuel consumption on the long ride home but I'm guessing it was about 60mpg.. would that be about right? I did a steady 70mph..

What I do need to do now is to spend a few hours riding around town, lots of roundabouts, junctions, hill-starts etc.. to get used to it.. it is a lovely bike but needs a different style of riding.

So guys.. mant thanks for the encouragement, enthusiasm and tips.. I have my ST2 and am going to enjoy her. I shall take her to Pro-Twins and hopefully join this DSC and meet up with on a ride-out soon. I'll make sure I can ride the thing confidently before I do that though! Wouldn't want to embarass myself.

Cheers!!

Dunks
Old 08-Nov-2004, 10:33
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Well done Dunks, enjoy!

John
Old 09-Nov-2004, 02:35
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Wonderful info on this this thread! Good read. I am thinking of trading my 750 SS in for a new ST4S which seems to have a lot of the mods recommended here. Also, I think I can live with the looks a little easier. Any comments on the 2005 specs or does anyone have one yet.
FInally, I feel Jools and Co. made a happy biker as you provided comprehensive rational replies. Hope that ST2 keeps you smiling for miles to come!
Old 09-Nov-2004, 12:30
Big Twin

Amen to that. It's good to hear helpful and informed advice being given.
Makes a refreshing change from the derision and dumb jibes that you'd get on some web bike forums.

Conventional (ie, bike mag) wisdom is that the ST2 is "slow", and the ST4 is "fast. Equally the 900SSie is "slow", whereas the 748 is "fast".

In the real world this is rubbish, as I'm sure you're finding, Dunks.

Enjoy your bike. They sure are grunty beasts, aren't they?

[Edited on 9-11-2004 by moto748]
Old 09-Nov-2004, 15:30
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

One more thing I would like to know is are the panniers worth the extra money. Are they usable, water tight, roomy and somewhat secure.
Old 09-Nov-2004, 16:02
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Yes they're worth it, they are watertight, they don't move about like throwovers do, they stay locked to the bike when you park up, they will take a full faced crash helmet and unlike after market hard luggage, they are reasonably narrow, leaving the mirrors still the widest point on the bike. I regularly go abroad for up to 10 days at a time and do not need any other luggage ( still have space for the duty free on the way back! )
I don't think I could live without mine.Andy
Old 09-Nov-2004, 16:03
Big Twin

Oh, and they don't make your bike weave at 140+, eh Monty?
Old 09-Nov-2004, 16:03
Ducati Corse

I must have a big head Andy, cant get my hat in mine....
Old 09-Nov-2004, 16:32
Big Twin

I seem to remember comments ages ago that some lids won't fit or were difficult to get in.
My Arai has no problems, but I only take a size small :P - my mates AGV in XL fitted in fine.
Old 09-Nov-2004, 17:55
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
for good servicing and sounds like near you?????i recommend ducati-proteam (alec short/matt) 59 weir rd london sw19 8ug - near wimbledon dog track phone 0208 947 7555(tube - wimbledon park)
they have looked after my 900ss ie and 748 from 1999 until present day with the sort of care "as if they owned it themselves"