Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Dec-2006, 14:03
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I virtually never seen a fuel-injected SS on the road. I've never seen a 1000ss or 800ss in the north where I live.
I hardly ever see a Monster on the road and the ones I do see are almost always water-cooled 4 valvers.
I've only seen a couple of Multis and these were the thou.
How many Sport Classics do you see? Not many again I bet.

The SSie range has been dropped because it doesn't sell. Air-cooled Monsters will go the same way imo. And almost everyone I know turns their nose up when you mention the power output. Sadly. These days it seems 100bhp is the starting point - this rules out every air-cooled motor.

IMO you have a much better chance of seeing a 916/748 derived bike than any of the air-cooled bikes.
Old 27-Dec-2006, 15:25
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
These liquid cooled Ducs are by Ducati's own admission playing a performance game with the Japanese that's why Ducati themselves use the litre IL4's as a benchmark, that's right a £7500 bike is the benchmark for a £12k+ bike....

For me all the true Ducati values as I see them are in the air cooled bikes, If I'm buying on traditional Ducati values I need only spend £6k on a 1000 sport to get everything Ducati stands for This bike has character in adundance, it has feel and it has something that sets it apart from the Japanese bike. It really is a bike the Japanese could never ever build. For the cost of a 1098 I could have one of these and a litre IL4.

I've never been to Boxhill in my life yet I'd argue I have the same biking values as many here damn we have 9 bikes including one in the lounge lol, your idea of the typical IL4 owner is way way off the mark

Hmmm, couch, I don't know where you are getting your figures but they are a bit adrift.
Yes, you are right, Ducati use IL4 machines as a benchmark but not £7,500!! RRP for an IL4 is circa £9 - 9.5K (I believe 9.4 for an R1 as an example - maybe someone else could clarify that? i'm not sure) I'm not talking what you bought it for or the 'deal' you got - but what the SRP is from the manufacturer!

Not the - "oh dear, we're 18 months in, next years bike is due out in 6 months time, best we discount the b*ll*cks out of this year's stock otherwise we'll never hit bonus! - price!

And the Ducati is not £12K, it's £11,250 for the entry model.

Before either bike has been discounted at the point of sale the difference is £1,850.
So that's £1,850 for Marchesini, Monobloc, Single sider, Digitek dash, Marelli FI and so on! Did I mention the handling???

Plus the exclusivity factor and then the unexplainable X factor! Not to mention the community, events - social side!

More importantly - just being that bit different to the squillions of folk that buy this years "must have IL4" destined unfrortunately to be next years "dog"!!

I know where I would and do spend my money! It's a no brainer!!
In fact i've dedicated my working life to this brand - Can't say I would be so happy to do so for many other brands!?!?

I mean I've got tins of soup with more personality than some IL4's!!!

Mart
Old 27-Dec-2006, 15:41
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"I mean I've got tins of soup with more personality than some IL4's!!!"

Ooooh Martin-ouch!

I have to admit I'm with you on this, I have only ever ridden 3 4's in my life so far, an Arial Square 4, a CBR600, and an R1. The Arial I can't really remember what it was like apart from smooth, the CBR600 you had to rev the bollox off to make it go-I was riding a 900SS at the time-and the R1 was fast but bland............

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 27-Dec-2006, 16:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
I virtually never seen a fuel-injected SS on the road. I've never seen a 1000ss or 800ss in the north where I live.
I hardly ever see a Monster on the road and the ones I do see are almost always water-cooled 4 valvers.
I've only seen a couple of Multis and these were the thou.
How many Sport Classics do you see? Not many again I bet.

The SSie range has been dropped because it doesn't sell. Air-cooled Monsters will go the same way imo. And almost everyone I know turns their nose up when you mention the power output. Sadly. These days it seems 100bhp is the starting point - this rules out every air-cooled motor.

IMO you have a much better chance of seeing a 916/748 derived bike than any of the air-cooled bikes.

never seen a sport classic on the raod but they outsold the mts last year.

Ducati sold 18000 or so units in the first half of last year

3800 were air cooled, over 10000 were monsters. 60% of the Monster range is aircooled, even if they only sold about 20% as air cooled thats still 1/3 of the units they sold being air cooled. A long way from nobody. The air cooled bikes are great bikes.

Cant explain what you see or dont see, dont know where you live or how often you go out?

Last edited by 749er : 27-Dec-2006 at 17:56.
Old 27-Dec-2006, 16:37
Big Twin

Eh?

Sorry, your figures aren't very clear. If Ducati sales are 18000, and 3800 are air-cooled, that's hardly a third, is it?
Old 27-Dec-2006, 17:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow
Hmmm, couch, I don't know where you are getting your figures but they are a bit adrift.
Yes, you are right, Ducati use IL4 machines as a benchmark but not £7,500!! RRP for an IL4 is circa £9 - 9.5K (I believe 9.4 for an R1 as an example - maybe someone else could clarify that? i'm not sure) I'm not talking what you bought it for or the 'deal' you got - but what the SRP is from the manufacturer!
Not the - "oh dear, we're 18 months in, next years bike is due out in 6 months time, best we discount the b*ll*cks out of this year's stock otherwise we'll never hit bonus! - price!
And the Ducati is not £12K, it's £11,250 for the entry model.
Before either bike has been discounted at the point of sale the difference is £1,850.
So that's £1,850 for Marchesini, Monobloc, Single sider, Digitek dash, Marelli FI and so on! Did I mention the handling???
Plus the exclusivity factor and then the unexplainable X factor! Not to mention the community, events - social side!
More importantly - just being that bit different to the squillions of folk that buy this years "must have IL4" destined unfrortunately to be next years "dog"!!
I know where I would and do spend my money! It's a no brainer!!
In fact i've dedicated my working life to this brand - Can't say I would be so happy to do so for many other brands!?!?
I mean I've got tins of soup with more personality than some IL4's!!!
Mart

I wouldn't expect anything less from a biased dealer. No one ever pays list for a bike well not a Japanese bike. My 10R was £6499 OTR and there is no arguing that. Most of it's life the model was £7999 OTR, list for Japanese bikes is never paid and you know that.

I am a member of the bike buying public and I cannot justify the £4750 extra a 1098 would cost me. Now I've spent more on my bike to tailor it for me and it now has an ohlins shock, k-tech cartridges, cat removal and a power commander. So I'm still nearly £3k under the 1098 and I've got suspension that is set up for me which is better than a Duc set up for the average person, I have also got ITRO 170hp at the back wheel, the dyno will confirm.

As for the community side and events I've ridden bikes all my life and that is there no matter what type of bike you ride. I've met good people on all types of bikes and the common thing is a love of bikes.

If you really think you have tins of soup with more personality than an IL4 I suggest you try mine, it goes well , sounds awesome and has a beautiful intake noise from the airbox. Bland is the last thing it is

You touch on the Japanese bringing out new models regularly, correct me if I'm wrong but Ducati do exactly the same updating their bikes on a yearly basis ?

I don't have an unlimited budget to buy bikes with so I guess I'm not your target market shame cos I do like the look of the 1098
Old 27-Dec-2006, 18:00
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto748
Eh?

Sorry, your figures aren't very clear. If Ducati sales are 18000, and 3800 are air-cooled, that's hardly a third, is it?

You need to add in.......

"20% of the 10,000+ Monsters" being air cooled = 5800 or so air cooled units which is about 1/3. I would think that way more than 20% of the Monsters would be the air cooled 620/695(?)/S2R/S2R1000
Old 27-Dec-2006, 23:14
Big Twin

Y'know, most folk would say, "I'd love a 1098 but sadly, I can't afford it."

Couchie says, "I'd love a 1098, but it's Ducati's fault for not making them cheaper!"

Truth is, Ducatis are more affordable for the ordinary Joe than they've ever been. The 748 cost £10k when it first came out in, what, 1995? What's that in today's money? The 916 was more again.

Last edited by moto748 : 27-Dec-2006 at 23:17.
Old 28-Dec-2006, 13:25
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Truth is, Ducatis are more affordable for the ordinary Joe than they've ever been. The 748 cost £10k when it first came out in, what, 1995? What's that in today's money? The 916 was more again.

I agree, but fact is, all bikes are more affordable than they were in 1995 as prices aren't that different now from what they were back then.
Old 28-Dec-2006, 15:12
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Y'know, most folk would say, "I'd love a 1098 but sadly, I can't afford it."

true for me but so is

"I'd love a 1098 but my riding doesn't justify a bike with that amount of power/torque"

So I may have a look at its baby brother when it comes out