Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 08-Mar-2004, 14:19

Servicing

Hi,

I need to get a 2 year service done on the bike (i.e cambelts etc) and am presently shopping around companies to get the best price. So far Moto Rapido in winchester have come in at £400 inc vat but ducati sounth london at £650. Why a such a big price difference? surely they are doing the same job, has anyone used moto rapido in the past. All help apprecieted as usual...
Old 08-Mar-2004, 17:07

Hi Sylvester
I work by Ducati london South and they quoted me silly money to servicemy 916. I had mine done at Snells in Alton and I thought they did a good job and at a lower cost. They cant be far from you, do you not rate them?
Ian
Old 08-Mar-2004, 18:05
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
You might want to bear in mind that Motorapido are, AFAIK, not Ducati approved which may be relevant as your bike is still under warranty....
Old 09-Mar-2004, 10:12
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Having become very cynical over this subject i would suggest getting the quote in writing.
I made a point of phoning around when i recently needed a 6K service. I checked that my chosen dealers price of £450 included VAT and usual consumables. Which they stated it did.
Bill came to £697. I will never go back to them
Old 09-Mar-2004, 10:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Depends if you are really bothered about the warranty or bothered about the bike...
I do eventually want to sell mine on and get summat bigger and better but...I want someone to love my bike as much as I do...
Nelly at Cornerspeed has serviced..added new bits and bobs and added me a crackin alarm for peanuts...(Well compared to italia Moto/coventry blah blah blah)
Ask anyone on here who's been to him...he treats the bike as if it is his own AND if you aren't happy then he'll take it back and sort it out...Service is great.
When I sell mine on I shall say stuff the warranty...Take it to this guy. You cant go wrong AND he knows the bike.

AND the verbal quote is what you always pay...no sting

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by kwikbitch]
Old 09-Mar-2004, 10:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
This has been my experince too, verbal quote, often as little as 50% of the final price. Ouch, especially as these people are supposed to be doing these jobs all day, every day. I could never get away with it with my customers.
Rgds,

Rob
Old 09-Mar-2004, 12:31
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Louigi Moto..major service, check alternator nut, smaller front sprocket, set up suspension, collected and delivered..£430. Top man.

Nat
Old 09-Mar-2004, 20:27
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I just had a 6000 ml service on my 996 at Snells £491.00
Don't tell the wife !!!!
Mark
Old 09-Mar-2004, 21:40
Ducati Corse

The problem with getting quotes for sevicing is what happens if they find something wrong when they start work? The classic problem are the rockers. A "basic" 6000 mile service at £400 odd can soon turn into £600 if you need three or four rockers at £75.00 each.
Or would you rather they didnt even look at the rockers and let you carry on riding it untill a cam shaft was damaged at god knows how many £'s!!
Old 09-Mar-2004, 21:48
Dibble

aaaah rockers ... mmmmm, lovely things, I have seven here ... I'm thinking of making a necklace of the expensive pieces of junk ....

£75 .. you'll be lucky .. plus the VAT, plus all the additional labour they add on .....

Still, according to Nelly all eight of mine are of the newer variety now, so hopefully job done ....

If this is the last service you need before the warranty expires then make sure you DO take it to a DUK Dealer, then they can go through it with a fine tooth comb and get all the bits under warranty, take it to an independent and you dont have a hope in hell ....

Sermon over.