Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Aug-2005, 21:43
RCA

998 / S / BOSTROM or R ?

Hello first post,

I ride the Yamaha R1 (see signature) and having always wanted a v-twin sportsbike as well, I now have the cash and the space (a garage!) to buy one. I have researched prices over the year, comparing prices on the 996, 998 and the various versions each model has to offer. I have decided on the 998 (in my opinion this is Ducati's best looking bike). I love the Bostrom paint work and this is the version Iam planning on buying. How much will that extra 16bhp cost me, the 998R !!!! All the bolts on appear to be the same on bith bikes, I assume there are some internal engine part differences

Thoughts please...
Old 04-Aug-2005, 21:58
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
I don't know too much either but if it was me I'd buy the R, paint work is an easy addition and should be overlooked, its what's inside that counts

The R will be the most rare and most special of them all in my opinion, I would imagine it would hold its value the best as well should you ever go mad and decide to sell it.
Old 04-Aug-2005, 22:02
Big Twin

the 998s and 998 r are differant engines

the bostrum and baylis reps are very good spec bikes with most of the desired goodies if not the carbon. id always prefer the R models as the reps tend to look abit dated very quickly. unless your a real bostrum / bayliss fan. the bostrum is a bit more unuusal with just 155 made, the blue frame and wheels tend to make one consider that they are quite differant.

i almost bought one but im glad iwent for my 996r now
Old 04-Aug-2005, 22:26
Big Twin

Mood: r
move on ! get a 999R, some bargains with these babys
Old 04-Aug-2005, 22:36
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
The 998s & 998R models are both very desirable, the "R" being the best of the two.

If you down the 998s route get a genuine monoposto as only 27 of them came to the uk.

As bungi said, the 998s & 998R are very different engines despite the small difference of 3 bhp, the R has a larger bore and a shorter stroke. I cant actually remember if the 998R is actually 998 or 999.

However you choose I`m sure you will enjoy the Ducati experience, by the way there are a lot of funny people in the club that will try and convince you that yellow bikes are quicker than red ones, this of course is complete and utter rubbish and as any owner of a red machione will tell you, the yellow is actually an undercoat that needs a red top coat to complete the bike. .................................mines a scotch & coke thank you.
Old 04-Aug-2005, 22:56
RCA

The 999 is an aweful looking bike, it looks like it was designed by someone from volvo, not at all a classic, discounts by dealers and the UK saturated with units brought in from Europe, hence the 'bargain', I would'nt touch a 999 with a long pole. Clearly not an investment. I'll take a 998 thanks anyday. How much will I pay for a 998R.

[Edited on 4-8-2005 by RCA]

Old 04-Aug-2005, 23:14
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
The 999 is an aweful looking bike, it looks like it was designed by someone from volvo

Ooooh, that's a little bit harsh! It might not be an oil painting, but likening it to a Volvo

Of course, the trouble with Volvos is that they did all their designing on an "etch a sketch", and it was only when that British bloke joined that he showed them how to do curves by twisting both knobs at once!
Old 04-Aug-2005, 23:14
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
The 999 is an aweful looking bike
Yeah,them new fangled Dukes will never take on,will they...
Old 04-Aug-2005, 23:30
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
The 999 is an aweful looking bike, it looks like it was designed by someone from volvo, not at all a classic, discounts by dealers and the UK saturated with units brought in from Europe, hence the 'bargain', I would'nt touch a 999 with a long pole. Clearly not an investment. I'll take a 998 thanks anyday. How much will I pay for a 998R.

Spoken by a man with an R1...........
Old 04-Aug-2005, 23:38
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
How much will that extra 16bhp cost me, the 998R !!!! All the bolts on appear to be the same on bith bikes, I assume there are some internal engine part differences

Thoughts please...

The 998R has 150hp???

998S has 136 out of the box I think the R has about 2 more

Quote:
Originally posted by bungi
the bostrum and baylis reps are very good spec bikes with most of the desired goodies if not the carbon. id always prefer the R models as the reps tend to look abit dated very quickly. unless your a real bostrum / bayliss fan. the bostrum is a bit more unuusal with just 155 made, the blue frame and wheels tend to make one consider that they are quite differant.

Frame, wheels, grips, seat pad, headlight bucket all different and there wasn't just 155 made, 155 for the US market, less power to meet emissions but carbon bodywork and signed tank, Euro spec "S" Engine but plastic bodywork. Bostrom rep isn't a race rep also due to tobacco advertising (L&M) it's a rep of his lid.

Also the Bayliss/Bostrom reps have Ohlins forks over the standard S model