Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Aug-2005, 18:52
Big Twin
Bikes: 998S Chili trackbike,749R (corse kit), 748SPS

Mood: Flange - it's a state of mind....
20k in 5 years is fine

I think 4-5 k is average for all bikes (ie not just ducatis!)

I've got a 748SPS with 20k on the clock & it's fine - FDSH - ridden regularly and always got everything done that need to be ( ie not cut corners on servicing)

If it has a FDSH & a wad of receipts it should be fine - but just don't pay too much for it as bikes with 20k on the clock are harder to sell

If you're worried you could get it inspected by an independent ducati mechanic?? cost 50ish

& make sure you get 6-12 months P&L warrenty if from dealer!!
Old 09-Aug-2005, 19:00
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Pants,

From my humble but experienced opinion, you can't really control it. Both of my 748's had full Ducati service history and were lovingly cared for. I wouldn't say I'm an agressive rider either....

I've now come to the conclusion that you take your chances with them based on any information you can glean baout it's history.

But at the end of the day, if it wants to fail on you it will (as will Jap bikes too I hasten to add albeit perhaps less commonly).

My first engine failure was at a meagre 6500 miles on a brand spanker. That was the same fialure as I had on my 748R a year ago at 24000 miles.

Both operated flawlessly before that....

I guess I've been unlucky, sorry VERY unlucky...but it still doesn;'t make the bitter pill any easier to swallow.

To brighten things up for you though....when it is working I love it to bits and would recommend one to anybody..

For me though I just don't know how many more times I can be kicked in the nads when I seem to be doing things right. I aint in a plush job anymore than can pay for such erratic circumstances.

Go with your heart and a bit of your head.....once you're on it it'll take a lot to knock your judgement
Old 09-Aug-2005, 19:02

Coolissimo info guys. Thanks.

The bike (market value) here in italy goes for around 7500 - 7800 euro (5100 - 5400 sterling roughly going on todays exchange rate).

It's a private, wanted 7000 but will settle for 6500 (4900 sterling) and it comes with the sexy carbon termingoni (although admittedly I fancy them purely for the looks/sound). Claims full Ducati service history but I'll be getting the bloody Ducati 'ever-red' guarantee done at a dealer (hence being able to get him to drop the price by 500).

Would this tickle your fancy or does it smell funny?

Am I taking the pi$$ if I ask the dealer to be present when they take it to bits for the guarantee. I just want to learn abit about the bike, but I think they'll probably think I'm snooping...
Old 09-Aug-2005, 19:13

Wahey, you're such a bunch groovie kids, I'll show you what I'm getting all excited about. Not the very one cos I can't find the flippin' page anymore but identical except for the carbon 'minipanel' below tank (no, I don't know what it's called) and the clutch cover:

http://www.moto.it/usato/usato03.asp?EID=593006

Guido, I'm really sorry your little Ducati let you down (I'm sure it didn't mean too). Thanks for the info, hope you put it back together.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 19:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Quote:
Originally posted by Pants
identical except for the carbon 'minipanel' below tank (no, I don't know what it's called)

That's your airbox mate.

Good luck and enjoy them fab Italian roads but watch out for the gun-toting Carabineri
Old 09-Aug-2005, 19:46
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Moto748's bike has only gone into the menders, cos it fell over with him on a roundabout (what a careless 748 eh Fred? )
Gone for plastic works etc - engine still sound at over 40,000 miles I believe

C

Oi! Not careless: diesel!!

I'm keen to get it back on the road, but it looks marginal whether the insurance will write it off. I'm aware about the big-end problem, oil starvation after a bike's been in its side though, but I may got for it anyway. Want to get some valus out of the STM clutch and 4-pad calipers fitted recently.

Anyway it's done 46000 miles, and I was looking forward to hitting that 50000 mile milestone this year. Engine and gearbox are in good nick.

pants> The prices you quote sound expensive compared to what they go for in the UK.
Have you considered buying a bike over here? I know you'd have to change the headlight, but still...

Have a look in Market Place to see what kind of money people are asking in the UK.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 20:36
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
There`s a chap from Suffolk who we signed up at the BMF,who`s got an early 916 with over 70000miles on it.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 21:46
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
My Volvo's done 178,000 miles and I've just had to fill the petrol tank up for the first time.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 23:14
Ducati Corse

Its true that all the Ducati motors dont like running on their sides and will often have main bearing failure soon after. So if you drop your make sure you hit the kill switch asap.

My 1999 ST4 is coming up on 24,000 miles including five trackdays, runs superbly, uses no oil, pulls like a train etc.

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by rockhopper]
Old 10-Aug-2005, 00:24
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
But it's yellow??

I did 36,000 miles on my Numptystrada in 18 months.

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by multi600]