Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2009, 20:03
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
body positioning & weight (track riding)

according to CSS and Twist of the Wrist etc, you hang your weight off your outside leg and midrift, and leave your arms to steer. And if flick-flack corners, use the outside leg to lever the bike over

my question is: can you still do this when a bit heftier than average? My worry is hanging my body out at the 'right' position, ie half off the seat with head around the mirror, shoulder dropped, and the bike liierally toppling over!! Is there a kind of minimum speed which you should do this?

I know what I mean, tbh not sure I've articulated iut that well...
Old 30-Mar-2009, 20:31
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Bradders your not meant to hang off both sides of the seat at the same time..........
Old 30-Mar-2009, 20:53
MotoGP God

constructive then

come on, you must know, all the training you've had on and off track
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
more wieght, you dont have to lean as far to counteract the g trying to pull the bike the other way. and the more your wieght is on the inside of the corner the less angle needed again. so really its all a matter of balancing your "hanging off" against the forces acting on you and the bike in a corner.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:15
BSB Star

Dont be so touchy all the while.......

As the saying goes...........In the real world, its a bit like riding a bike, you never forget.

Your body will tell you when your going to fall off and you will do something about it, either go faster or stand the bike up......

ooh nearly forgot........i thought you were one of those against track riding....

Last edited by andyb : 30-Mar-2009 at 21:21.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:20
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
You know, sometimes you can just think about these sort of things a bit too much.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:22
MotoGP God

so if I sling the bike on its side, ala aforementioned schools, will it just topple over?!?

ok I'll own up; real reason I want to know is if I can lean the bike as far with me hanging off as I do when not hangimg off....get my knee down if I can!!

an example

Last edited by bradders : 30-Mar-2009 at 21:27.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:26
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
Dont be so touchy all the while.......

As the saying goes...........In the real world, its a bit like riding a bike, you never forget.

Your body will tell you when your going to fall off and you will do something about it, either go faster or stand the bike up......

ooh nearly forgot........i thought you were one of those against track riding....

wasnt being touchy, just asking for your experience as well as the pi$$ taking

and wheres the against track riding come from?! confusing me with someone else there.

trouble is, it feels really odd hanging off, always has, and I guess in the back of my mind there is the thought it will just fall over (especially at roundabout speeds) and now I'm back on a sports bike, I want to work on improving my riding, especially on track. Rehearse the right habits
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:38
BSB Star

You have to ask why its required to hang off and what the reason and benefits are!!

.........and at a low speed roundabout its not......in fact probably at all roundabouts ............. except when you want to make a poxy video.......
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:41
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
so if I sling the bike on its side, ala aforementioned schools, will it just topple over?!?

ok I'll own up; real reason I want to know is if I can lean the bike as far with me hanging off as I do when not hangimg off....get my knee down if I can!!

an example

OK so on this piccie, you look as though your sat on the spike thats in the centre of your seat...... if you had moved your ar$e over generally in preperation on arrival to the corner maybe as your braking in the straight line, so your left cheek was the only one on the seat pad oyu would virtually be knee down.