Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Mar-2004, 17:04
Bevel Head

Bare Mono unit???

Hi everyone,

I've got a Mono unit for my 996 now, from a guy on eBay in Nottingham (Not nelly!).

I've also taken everyones advice and gone to JHP who have also provided me with a Bip-Mono conversion pack, which basically comprises of a new bracket, a couple of long screws, and some spacers.

However, my new mono unit doesn't have any 'moulds' to screw any of this in to. It's literally just a race 'shell' of a seat unit.

Its not even got light holes cut out of it, but that ain't a prob as I'll cut those with my Dremel quite easily.

So, has anyone else had/got a unit like this, and how do you get it the light unit, front hinge etc to attach to it???

Or has anyone any ideas as to what I can do?

As always, cheers for any help that you lot can offer.....

Mark.
Old 05-Mar-2004, 20:53
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Mark - I fixed a f/glass single to my bip, I glued a small block of wood where the seat catch goes into the latch, then when I knew it was in place I fireglassed the wood in place. I simply screwed the lights unit and catch into the wood and hey presto - sorted!

Would post pics but sold unit with bike and dont have, sorry.
PAul
Old 05-Mar-2004, 20:56
Big Twin

If your bike is a bip, then you could do the same as my track seat unit. My seat has two lugs located on either side of the moulding, so it actually bolts to the same point as where the pillion footpegs go (if that makes sense!) rather than the conventional way of a bracket at the front.

If you have no means of fixing any of the screw fittings into the unit, then this is a good alternative, although it would require a ittle work. Otherwise you may have to mould or 'manufacture' some other form of bracketry to locate the unit.

I would imagine that someone else on here must have come across the same problem when buying track stuff?
Old 05-Mar-2004, 21:18
DSC Club Member
500SD

Mark
This is what I`ve done to mine, although I don`t have a light unit on mine you put one on if you had a dremal and cut out the two holes at the back. Basically just epoxy some nuts onto the glassfibre, I put it onto a plastic square before so I didn`t balls it up. Hope this helps.
Old 05-Mar-2004, 21:36
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
What about,

The race look with dzus fastners at the rear of the tail section. fixing it to the sub frame fixings.
Like the world superbike look. If done right, i think that it would look trick.
Old 06-Mar-2004, 01:35
500SD

WSB look's not quite as simple as that, there's a carbon seat support assembly that bolts onto the subframe first and then the seat fixes to that with dzus fasteners.
Old 06-Mar-2004, 17:10
Bevel Head

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'm liking the sound of the Epoxy/Block of wood idea the best I think as I reckon it'll be quite easy to sort.

However, how strong is that gonna be?? I mean, when I'm 'jumping' around the seat whilst on track days etc. is it gonna hold ok??

Keep the ideas coming everyone as I'm well up for anything unusual or trick looking!
Old 07-Mar-2004, 11:15
Bevel Head

Oh, and any pics would be VERY helpful too please!!!
Old 07-Mar-2004, 15:10
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by mark996
Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'm liking the sound of the Epoxy/Block of wood idea the best I think as I reckon it'll be quite easy to sort.

However, how strong is that gonna be?? I mean, when I'm 'jumping' around the seat whilst on track days etc. is it gonna hold ok??

Keep the ideas coming everyone as I'm well up for anything unusual or trick looking!

Mark - I weigh over 18st (and I wont admit by how much!!) and I find it has stood up that easily! Also, if I can do it, anyone can! Infact, so stronmg that I didn't notinc ethe seat wasnt connected on the front hinge for months - just stayed in place with the seat catch.

Sorry - no pics as sit unit has gone. I'm in motorapido this week collecting new bike and will try to get one - they have it now.
PAul