Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Aug-2012, 10:00
Bikes: Italian and British

916 headlights

Never noticed this before as I never took it out at night but they appear to be pointing straight down into the ground only a few yards ahead and the vertical adjuster is on the full "high" setting. What's going on? The dip beam is actually more effective than the main beam. Came home the other night at 15mph!
I know it sounds silly but it's almost as if they're fitted the wrong way around(?). Presently the dip beam is on the left side of the bike and the main on the right and under normal use they light up separately (i.e. they don't light up at the same time)
Thanks
Old 21-Aug-2012, 10:27
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
That is the right way round but I think that your main beam may have the wrong bulb type or may be fitted incorrectly, as the beam pattern uses a reflector in the housing to focus the light.
If the bulb isn't fitted correctly or it's the wrong type, it may have shifted that focus and that's why it's not pointing in the right direction.
On my 748 (MY2000) the bulb is an H4 for the main beam, but check your owners manual just in case your 916 uses a different bulb and that's why it's not working right!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 21-Aug-2012, 15:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
My 2002 998 uses an H1 and an H3 from memory.
Old 21-Aug-2012, 17:27
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
My 2002 998 uses an H1 and an H3 from memory.

Don't forget that the 916 used a different headlight configuration to the 996/998 as the charging circuit couldn't handle both dipped and full beam being on at once! There may also be a difference in the bulbs, so worth checking what it should be in the manual as it could already be wrong, or that using the same bulb as a 998 is wrong!

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 23-Aug-2012, 22:30
Bikes: Italian and British

Hi
Thanks for the tips. However the problem was sorted by me loosening the pod retaining casting, lifting it up at the front and retightening. Now I have legal height although the dip beam is still a bit odd and after inspecting the large bowl type lens it appeared to have some previous crash damage. Shall look for an undamaged one although they're not likely to be cheap!
Cheers
Old 23-Aug-2012, 22:41
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStanb
Shall look for an undamaged one although they're not likely to be cheap!

Don't forget that they come apart so you might get lucky with finding just the lens part rather than buying a whole new light unit.