Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jun-2005, 15:52
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
Strange fuelling glitch on full power

On recent trackdays I've noticed that under full power on straights very occasionally I get a sudden dip in power/stutter that feels as if the fuelling is being cut momentarily. Before you all shout "rev limiter" I've been doing track days for nigh on 20 years and riding 4 valve Ducatis for 10 so I know when I'm hitting the limiter.

It can be very disconcerting and I was just wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue?

As if it's not obvious bike is a 998S Bostrom Rep. Running 54 mill rear end, otherwise standard.

I'll be at Brands on Monday in fast group for a chat if anybody feels they may have something to say?
Old 29-Jun-2005, 15:54
Dibble

Neil Spalding from Sigma Performance may be there .... come and find me and if he is I'll introduce you to him .... he'll have an idea ......
Old 29-Jun-2005, 16:04
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The next time this happens, check your tach needle. If it drops to zero, then you’ll know that there’s no signal output from the engine management computer. This means that it also won’t be sending timing information to the coils or the fuel injectors.

If this is the case, the problem could be in the sensor inputs to the computer, the computer itself, or just in the associated wiring/connectors. If the tach needle doesn’t drop, the problem is more likely in the injector relays.

Have your dealer use their Mathesis ECU tester to check the computer and sensor outputs for any obvious problems.

Because of similar problem reports, I’d first suspect that the crank position sensor needs repositioning to get the correct gap, or possibly need replacement.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 16:56
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
Well the tacho needle drops but then the power comes straight back and everything normal. It's an extremely brief (and rare) event and to be honest it's more that fact that it just doesn't feel like it's doing a lot of good to the engine or transmission that worries me!!!
I've mentioned to Dean Buck at Bridge who looks afetr it very well and he's scratched his head a fair bit, so your suggestion Shazaam should give him food for thought.
Can be very annoying and only seems to happen as I'm outdragging another UJM and then have to back off!!