Ducati Sporting Club UK
Private Adverts
Use this forum for all private adverts. You must have been a registered member on this board for at least 14 days before you are allowed to post.

Old 19-Jul-2009, 16:38
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Ultra cheap car anyone - virtually free?

I became the proud owner of a navy blue X-reg Peugeot 106 Independence with 80,000 something miles on the clock recently.

It was my son's first car once he'd finished uni and was out to work in the big wide world, but after a few years working he's decided on a complete change of direction and gone back to medical school, so the car was something he just couldn't afford and he needed to sell it to pay his rent.

The bank of Dad gave him a few hundred quid for it, and to be honest I was going to keep it just as a little run around to do stuff like taking stuff to the tidy tip, picking up bags of peat from the garden centre and all the stuff that's too grubby for my convertible to do and too big for Mrs Jools Smart car.

But the shylocks in the insurance industry want £230 to insure it and it's not worth that to me, so because I didn't insure it, I can't tax it and it's now on SORN and getting in the way (I think the MOT is also due at the end of the month).

It's suffered cosmetically from being parked on-street in London and the nearside mirror has been wiped out by a dustcart, the nearside front wing has got a dent in it and there is another dent just behind the drivers door, But, my son kept on top of the servicing and it starts first time and drives really nicely, it's rust free and I wouldn't think it'll have any bother getting another MOT ticket on it.

I've looked on eBay to see how much parts would be, there were a couple of replacement mirrors on there going for about £12-15 and a replacement front wing for about £35, so all the stuff that's wrong is an easy fix. I was thinking about fixing it up myself, but to be honest I just haven't got the time and it's currently taking up too much space in my mum's garage to warrant keeping it.

If nobody wants it, I'll call in the scrappers, but to be honest it's far too good a car to scrap and it would be a real shame to pitch it off down the scrapyard when it's easily got a good few years in it.

It would make an ideal first car, so if you know of anyone who wants something like this, I'll take the first £50 just to get it off my hands. Obviously, I don't want any tyre kicking at this price, because if it doesn't work out for anybody that takes it, they can take it down the scrappers and pretty much get their money back, but I can promise you that they'll be getting a nice little runner for peanuts

I'm not giving it long, if it's not gone within the week it'll meet it's maker

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 19-Jul-2009, 16:47
Bevel Head

pm sent
Old 20-Jul-2009, 20:02
Bevel Head

Mood: Duc'd up now
has it gone yet?
lapman
Old 20-Jul-2009, 21:05
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Nope.

But, please realise that this car hasn't got tax on it. I put it on Sorn at the end of June when the tax ran out because I've already got a car of my own and I wasn't going to insure it. No insurance, you can't tax it.

The MOT has just or is about to expire so it'll need putting through the test. Although the car has a few cosmetic scrapes, as described above, my son kept on top of the mechanical servicing and it starts first time, drives really nicely, had all the brakes done last year and I can't see it being a major problem getting another ticket on it. No guarantees of course.

Like I said, the easiest thing for me to do would be to call in the scrappers because they've already offered me £50, but I think it would be a real shame to scrap the car cos mechanically speaking I reckon it's easily got another 5 years in it. And if it hasn't, your scrap man will give you the £50 you paid for it.

So if somebody wants it for the same money that the scrap man will give me, all it's going to cost them is £50, the time and trouble to come and get it and whatever it takes to get an MOT, but I'd be genuinely surprised if it needed any more than the MOT fee paying to pass.

If I had the time to sort it, I would do it myself, 'cos with tax and 12 months MOT, and a bit of TLC I reckon it would be worth £4-500 of anybodies money, just don't have the time, got nowhere to keep it and my mum wants her garage back

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 20-Jul-2009, 21:54
Bevel Head

PM sent
lapman
Old 26-Jul-2009, 20:12
Bevel Head

Jools,
Just to let you know, the car ran like a dream.
When i got home siad to my 17 year son "Come and meet Skippy" He was absolutely gob-smacked.
He and his sister spent most of the afternoon looking at it and he kept saying I can't believe it and then gave it a wash and clean.
Please thank Sadie for picking me up and
Hopefully i'll get out and about at a DSC meet and thank you personally.
cheers
Dean

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit