Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 16-Aug-2012, 12:31
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Theft only insurance

Is there such a thing?

My bike has not been out of the garage in the last 2 years and is unlikely to move until Spring.

My insurance is due for renewal at the end of August, and although my renewal notice is less than £200 fully comp, I'm just wondering if I need to pay that, or if there is a more cost effective approach I can adopt?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Martin
Old 16-Aug-2012, 12:49
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
TPFT is still available and when I did a quote on a 640 KTM it went from £140 comp to £85 so worth the drop for me on a cheap bike
Old 16-Aug-2012, 13:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
You used to be able to get just fire and theft insurance for stuff that is off the road. Can't give tou the names of any specific companies as it is a long time ago since I had such a policy.

Doubt you will find it offered online so you might have to call round a few places.

I don't think you will save a a fortune if you are only paying £200 now if you are not going to be off the road for a full 12 months it might not be worth the hassle, especially if it means you have to change mid policy period you could get whacked with charges for the change.

You might miss the opportunity to get some early spring rides in if you need to sort your insurance before getting back on the road.

There can be options to suspend your insurance but that might leave you with no cover rather than reduced cover.

Ray.
Old 17-Aug-2012, 08:21
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Martin,

Try MSM Insurance 01279-870535 and ask for Dave Spragg. If anyone can help it will be him.

Chris
Old 17-Aug-2012, 13:24
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Thanks for the advice guys -I'll do some calling

Most likely course of events is that the bike will be sold in the spring (leathers are already hanging in the loft), so not too worried about being able to use it, just want to make sure it's covered for theft

Martin
Old 03-Sep-2012, 14:25
Mille
Bikes: YZF750R, DD 'B' class monster #2

There used to be a couple of brokers that would cover "laid up bikes" as specified items on a household policy. I've got a feeling Aunty Carol used to do it, but I'm not certain.