Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Nov-2003, 21:30

Mood: variable
Shall I get one ? Take 2

Hi my name is Fieldsheer and this is a first post for me.

I am considering a Multistrada and have read the threads on the site but still have a few questions that a road test won`t answer. I am hoping that you will be kind enough to fill me in(so to speak).

I have only riden two Ducatis before,a 500 Pantah (back in 1983) and a 1994 900SS(about 4 years ago).

I am looking for a bike with the easy going nature of my Triumph Thunderbird but able to pickup the pace when the mood takes me (my other bike is a KTM Supermoto).

The bike before the KTM was a Triumph Tiger which was pretty good but too tall in the saddle for me (5`7" ) and my partner did not like being stuckup in the air (which exagerated the angle of lean leading to few discussions).

We had a seat on a Multistrada in Alvins and I could get both balls of my feet on the ground (toes only on the Tiger) and my partner who is taller had no problems(she was looking a little smug and too comfortable).

Specfic questions
1. What is the real world fuel cosumption?
Average cruising speeds between 50 and 80 over mixed roads.

2.What is top gear throttle response like from 50mph?
I hate having to play tunes on a gearbox.

3.Is there any transmission snatch below 3000 rpm(as on the 900SS I tried)?

4.Do the panniers hold a full face helmet?

5.What the service costs and how often?

6.Do you get buffeting from the screen or is it wind noise (the Tiger got noisey above 70 and the taller screen did not help)?

7.The brake judder is a problem I would not accept as being character, has anyone had this fixed or is it still ongoing?
There is no way my partner would ride the bike if this happened to her.

8.How noisey are the Terminogies(spelling ?) she likes noise and I prefer stealth.

If you are still reading this thank you for sticking with it.

This may sound daft but I like a bike that talks to you as you ride.

I did visit the MCN site looking for enlightenment (some hope) but the Multistrada link has been hijacked by a couple of abusive idiots.

Thank you for being informative.

Fieldsheer
Old 20-Nov-2003, 12:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
i am not best qualified to answer all of your questions but i am sure keefy and lwh will be along soon, - but i can have a go on some of them.

Like you I am still unsure about the brake chatter, - to me it was n't a big issue as I think as I said you are down to slow speed by the time it set in, - i think it may have something to do with dirt or dust build up behind the pads as I have heard of that before as a reason for this type of behaviour. - I am thinking of 2 solutions, - take tha pads out from time to time and clean em, - or fork brace on those longer than Ducati have used before forks.

As far as the engine/transmission bit below 3000rpm, - that is by and large Ducati's, - there ain' t nothing much below 3000rpm so don't use it. I did n't notice it but I have been riding Ducatis for a while and think that after 100 miles on a Ducati and you don't notice it is there as you instictvely use between 3 and 7000rpm. The big plus is that between 3000-7000rpm the engine is a real peach, and I think the v-twin is so so suited to the multistrada. I think Ducati have found the best type of bike for the engine they have.

There is no other bike that really compares as the big difference is that the MS handles, our road are really bad and this thing deals with them - to me it is so good that after about 30 mins I forgot about testing it and just enjoyed riding a motorbike.

It needs the termis far to quiet without, - oh and you have to learn to love a dry clutch, - when i was out testing so old biker came up to me as i was letting her warm (you have to let Ducs warm before riding them off), "ha ha your timing chain has gone, on a new bike as well" "Ducs don't have timing chains and its called a dry clutch" .

It is I believe Ducati's best selling bike this year, although not in the UK, which might help you do a deal between now and spring. They are avaliable on the 0% deal, - you have to put a certain % down.
Good luck.
Old 20-Nov-2003, 17:36
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hello,in answer to your questions.
1.Mid to low 40's
2.Good,but better with airbox restrictors removed.
3.A little,correct chain tension should be observed.
4.Dunno,ask luckywhiteheather!
5.1st service at 600 miles or 6 months,oil and filter,labour free.(Tho some dealers charge)About35quid.
2nd service,6000 miles or 1 year about 150.
3rd service,12,000 or 2 years.As yearly plus cambelts about 200 quid.
6.Standard screen is way too low,needs the "comfort" screen as standard.
7.Mine judders very slightly at about the last 15mph before stopping.It was temporarily fixed at first service but has returned.Expect a recall or fix soon.
8.Dunno,ask luckywhiteheather.

Old 20-Nov-2003, 19:40
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
I'm in agreement with all the answers Keefyboy's given!

As for the questions he hasn't answered:
4. The 24 litre ones do, but not the 18 litre.
8.Not as noisy as a 99* with Termis but a big improvement over standard pipes.

If you've read the various posts here they should give you some idea about MS ownership generally.

Good Luck!
Old 20-Nov-2003, 20:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
To make an addendum to point 5 of keefyboys reply I believe that Ducati UK have just changed their policy on free first services, in that you pay for them now, - however in speaking with the dealer that told me of this he volunteered straight away to reduce the cost of it when i did little more than raise an eyebrow.
And in contradiction to what I said earlier about UK sales of the MS, - Ducati UK are very very happy that it was in the range this year, - it has sold very well here when compared with sports/race reps.
Old 20-Nov-2003, 23:27

Thanks for the replys and info.

If the weather stays fair on Saturday we have a test ride booked for 11am at Alvin`s in Edinburgh.

Depending on the outcome I then have to consider trade in versus a private sale of the Supermoto.

Ian, I to think they are being tight charging for the first service, normally all you pay for is the oil and filter. The interest free deal seems to be on until the end of March.

Thank you Ian, keefyboy and luckywhiteheather.

I`ll post again after the test ride.
Old 21-Nov-2003, 09:15
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
1st service.

Hmm,I did say some dealers charge labour for the first service.Perhaps its because I'm a regular customer that I did'nt pay for labour on my 1st service.
Old 21-Nov-2003, 18:38
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Didn't pay for my first service either!

Hope the weather holds for you on Saturday morning FS. If you want a decent test of the Bike head down coast road towards Gullane/North Berwick. Great twisty bits of road along 'Longniddry Bents' between Port Seaton and Aberlady and then on through Gullane to NB. You can then come back same way or via A1 if you want to try it out and cruising speed.

Alternatively from Alvins head for City Bypass and then on to A7 to Gala, A72 to Peebles and back via Penicuik on A703. That's the route I did on my test ride. Both routes will take you around 1.5/2hours.

Either way there will only be one outcome!

I'll make my prediction: "KTM for sale!"
Old 21-Nov-2003, 20:37

Thanks for the routes LWH, most of my riding is to the west and north of Fife.

I think weather will be the deciding factor on which route is chosen.

Fingers crosssed for a dry day.

Old 22-Nov-2003, 23:50

I got the test ride today.

After moving the handlebars to suit myself I found it to be one of the best riding positions I`ve tried, including the Triumph Speed Triple.

The power delivery was good and even when I deliberately let the revs done to 2,000 the transmission judder was was almost negligable (not what I expected from previous experience). I kept it in 5th most of the time as I was cruising around 60/70mph and 6th felt a little to high (fine when on the bypass though).

I did intend to do the Gala / Penicuik route but ended up on around trip to Galashiels ( a bit nippy down there ). The roads were a mix of wet and dry with the sun shining in my face through a road spray covered visor, perfect ( not).

On the way down the bike was reluclant to turn which I put down to it being two up and the suspension left as I picked it. When we reached Gala my partner got of and sent me away to play by myself. The bike now flowed better in the bends but felt a little hard ( I weigh around 12 stone ) so I backed it of 2 clicks once I found the adjuster, much better on the way back to retrieve partner.

The rear suspension was turned back to standard plus 2 clicks harder for the run back to Edinburgh ( my partner is no heavy weight so the suspension adjustment must be fairly fine ), a big improvement on the run down when the bike was moving in the corners, so I stopped and added another 2 clicks, now we were in the right ball park, the front felt a little hard moving on ripples in the surface ( nothing major ),
I`m positive that with a little set up time that would disappear (the tyres may even have been a pound or two done as it was bloomin cold).

The mirrors were almost useless and would have tobe changed if I were to buy one.
The seat was okay until we were almost back to Edinburgh, approx 70 miles, but by that time on the Thunderbird my backside would be begging for a rest.
As far as the screen goes it was not a problem up to 80mph, never took it any further, but I would probably try a higher one anyway ( never happy ).

Despite what I`ve just written I am confident that if it were my own bike I could sort the suspension to my liking, having played with the KTM I know what a difference a few clicks can make.

Stange thing about the instuments was that they were reading the miles the bike had covered on the way down but fuel consumption ( 47 average ) on the way back up and I am fairly sure I didn`t touch anything.

I was real comfy with the riding position up front but things were not going so well on the back, as we were going through Newtongrange I enquired as to my partners well being, I`m still here was the reply ( not good ). She found that she was being tipped forward in the seat ( she is 5` 11" ) and the footrest were not in a good position for her, the KTM was preferable for riding pillion ( we have only done 60 mile 2 up on the KTM ), and the vibrations in the derrier were not welcome.

Conclusion,

It is like a long legged Supermoto (compliment ) and almost what I was looking for, I had hoped to use it for touring holdays 2 up, but that is a none starter ( looks like a king and Queen seat for the Thunderbird ) for us.

When we left the shop last week the plan was to sell the KTM and my partners SV650 to finance the Multistrada, as long as she got her noisey pipes, but after the test ride the SV stays ( she is a Ducati fan and was disapointed that it did not work out).

Buying new is out of the question and I still have to justify to myself at least £2500 over what I can expect for my KTM for the Demo bike.

I liked it ( a lot ) but the KTM is good for trackdays and I can see a few sleepless night ahead.

Luckywhiteheather, keefyboy and Ian thankyou for help and time, it has been much appreciated.
(please excuse spelling and gramatical errors)