Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Dec-2004, 12:48
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Showa Forks - Air/Oil Gap Height and Fork Position

Hi Guys,

Following on from my previous posting regarding Ohlins spring rates and general handling woes with my 916SPS, I have bought a nice set of TiNitride Showa forks from that lovely man AntonyE.
Forks are from a 2002 748S.Before I fit these to my bike I intend to renew the fork oil.

Looking at my Haynes Manual, I see that there are different measurements for "2000-on year" 748's as follows:

1. Fork Oil Level; 132mm (after Y2K), 135mm (pre Y2K)
Question: Are the fork internals (spring rates/valving)different between pre/post Y2K models or did Ducati decide that the additional oil gave better damping characteristics?

2. Fork position: 244mm from btm yoke to fork top cap (after Y2K) or 408.5mm from wheel C/L to bottom of btm yoke.
Question: Do these measurements equate to the same fork position??

What I am really asking is: if I treat these forks as pre-Y2K forks, can I replicate the damping/geometry that I had on my 96 748 or will I need to follow the post Y2K settings???

I need help!!!

R X