Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2005, 20:53

999 setup

Have got a 2004 999.
Know nothing about setup for it, and am looking for some help/advice as the bloody thing just seems to want to throw me off the back going over every small bump.

Am 6'2" and weigh around 12 1/2 stone.

Am at the moment having warm recollections over the 748 I had before, please help me get the 999 bacvk to a similar state !

Cheers

Johnny the Fox
Old 22-Jan-2005, 20:55
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Bip or mono??
Old 22-Jan-2005, 20:59

BIP
Old 22-Jan-2005, 21:08
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Useful advice will be along shortly, I've no doubt, but as a temporary measure, I would standardise the comp and rebound settings per the manual, front and back, then up the pre-load (from standard) at the back by a bit.
I'm 6' tall, and near to your weight, and I find upping front & back comp by one click each from standard works for me.

Someone will be along with information and a link or two to more detailed advice.

The only time I feel I'm going off the back of my 999S Bip is on the Mountain at Cadwell!
Old 22-Jan-2005, 21:35
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I would say the bip spring is too hard for a mere 121/2 stonnes.Do you need to carry a passenger at all ? If not id get a mono spring fitted.
You can tell the difference by the numbers on the side of it.
Old 22-Jan-2005, 22:07
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hey Johnny,I'm the same height as you,but slightly(!) heavier.My 999 handles the bumps a treat.I'll check the settings tomorrow when its light and I'm sober!
Old 22-Jan-2005, 23:10
wheelspin

Quote:
Hey Johnny,I'm the same height as you,but slightly(!) heavier.My 999 handles the bumps a treat.I'll check the settings tomorrow when its light and I'm sober!

You've still got your bike then!

Mark
Old 22-Jan-2005, 23:28
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Johnny,

I've got an '04 749S so we share the same frame and suspension.

I'm 5'10'' and about 16 Stone.

The best setup I've found is on www.section8superbike.com basically the first thing you need to do is set up the loaded sag on the suspension. This is the amount the suspension settles with the rider on the bike. Don't worry the section8 site clearly describes how to do this. That will give you an indication of the correct springs for your weight.

The next thing to do is lengthen the tie rod beside the rear shock to increase the bikes ride height. Then you can raise the forks through the triple clamps to increase turn in speed and fell from the front. Don't worry about reduction in stability as its barely noticable.

After you have done this its a matter of fiddling with the dampening to suit.

[Edited on 22-1-2005 by sbwells]
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:30
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by wheelspin
You've still got your bike then!

Mark
Cheeky bast...
Oddly I did find a motorcycle in there under a pile of flatpack furniture boxes!:P

Good post by sbwells btw,was gonna post something similar myself.now that I am sober-ish!
I set the sag to suit my weight and found the factory damping settings were pretty good,so left them alone.I have turned the ride height two full turns to speed up the turn in and move the rear tyre away from the no.plate!
The old cable tie around the fork leg is a good indicator of how much travel you are using.Ideally you need to leave around 15mm of travel on a normal ride.