Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Jul-2009, 18:40
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Gbyte666 Oulton Park Race Report

Gbyte666 Oulton Park Race Report

I would like to dedicate this race report to Lucie as I saw and felt so much love for her around the DD paddock this weekend.
Only one picture for this month’s race report as I think it says it all, how much her friends miss her and the massive influence Lucie had, as well as the minutes silence this was one of the many tributes to Lucie this weekend.

The report

Trackday/Pratice

Nick B and I arrived Thursday night to a packed entrance at the circuit as they would not let us into the circuit. But we had some great hospitality in Chaz’s home with some good banter over a few beers & wine.
Friday morning was overcast and a little damp still on the ground, but with new tyres on I set out onto the track with quite a few dry lines to be able to scrub them in a little and familiarise myself with the circuit. I had only done Oulton once about 4 yrs ago as a novice. ( lol..no change there then )
Second session was even dryer with only a couple of damp spots and I managed a bit faster bumble around, I couldn’t believe my luck really as Friday was forecast for really heavy rain.
Third session I had spoken too soon as we lined up to go out with Sam banging the **** out of the side of his bike because the choke had stuck on the rain came down big time. I braved it for about 6 laps before I came in so as not to get my leathers soaking before Saturdays racing.
The only entertainment Nick and I had for the rest of the day was watching Franco trying to get out of his car in the middle of a monsoon and the best of all was Matt pumping his bed up from the back of his van. Nick has some video of it which I’m sure he will put up on YouTube later.
Race One
We were blessed with a dry track and it looked like it would stay that way. Waiting to line up was a bit long while we waited as some bike on the last race binned it on the final lap just before the start straight and they needed to chuck some dust down. On the grid and the lights were quick just like Snetterton and bang we were off. Great start as usual pulling through the pack as usual and making about 5 places, then I remembered talking to Rattler and advising me to have a plan for that first corner, Damn it what was my plan errrrr and then I lost my five places back and spent the rest of the race getting them all back. Despite that first corner where my balls shrink I had a great race with #61 Phil Wilcock who was getting me into and around Shell Corner every time. Fair play to Phil considering I am on a 620 it was a close race all the way.
Race Two
Again on the grid we were kept waiting for ages while they sorted out a couple of wrong places and again I pulled right through a few places only to bottle it on the first corner hustle. I think it was that first lap that I saw a rider holding his hand up ( Tim ? ) and people diving everywhere around him to avoid a rolling bike. #32 David Nicholson and # 61 Phil Wilcock had got in front of me and were battling each other hard until I saw David doing a straight on through the gravel towards the wall at Druids. It was then Phil and I plus another guy ( ? sorry didn’t see/remember the number ) having a race which ended up in all three of us together coming down the start/finish straight and who was going to give first into Old Hall corner. None of us gave up or gave an inch and I think it was all fair but the other guy went off line and onto the grass. I checked afterwards and was told he stayed upright and was OK. Just piped Phil again but coming down that small lane to come in we knocked together knocking Phil’s knee slider off. Oh well better there than on track.
I really enjoyed that race, I mean really.
Well done Andy and Sam
It was fantastic to walk around and talk to people again and I met another new face #31 Alessandro Vespa. Nice to meet you Sir.
If anyone wants to improve their lap time around Oulton for next year go and see Dallas he knows a little known short cut, just make sure Senna don’t catch you

See you all at Cadwell; don’t forget the GribFest Sat night
Craig
Old 19-Jul-2009, 19:24
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
It was good close stuff Craig without getting silly and taking liberties, none of us want to come off as a result of an ill timed move. I did enjoy racing against you. It was number 40 Andy Thomas, he came past me 3 laps previous into Old Hall very fast, must have been on the limit then, a bit over the limit when we were together. I must have just been in front as I didn't see anything.

Now i have missed something here about the minutes silence, I knew nothing of it, or when it was to happen.

I was on the grid for both races with engine running, sincere apologies if I upset anyone, but unless we are told we are not to know.

The tanoy in the paddock was next to useless. Lets do it all again at Cadwell.

Last edited by Ghost : 19-Jul-2009 at 19:28.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 19:34
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Great report, Craig.

Again, I was watching you and Phil go at it, good scrap and Ghosties bike looked well quick.

It was nice to be able to put up a little tribute for Luce, but gutting not to get any kind of result to dedicate to her. Fortunately, Andy was able to do that for all of us.

We'll do a proper job at Gribfest.

Roll on Cadders...I'll have a tan I hope LOL!
Old 19-Jul-2009, 19:49
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otei
Great report, Craig.

Again, I was watching you and Phil go at it, good scrap and Ghosties bike looked well quick.
It was nice to be able to put up a little tribute for Luce, but gutting not to get any kind of result to dedicate to her. Fortunately, Andy was able to do that for all of us.

We'll do a proper job at Gribfest.

Roll on Cadders...I'll have a tan I hope LOL!

Must just be the corners then Tim as the times compared to the front runners tell a different story, need some masterclass lessons methinks.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 19:57
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Nope, it was the turbo...and you know it. LOL!
Old 19-Jul-2009, 20:03
Big Twin

Bugger that means a Parc Ferme at Cadwell I suppose, quick redesign.
Old 19-Jul-2009, 20:17
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Was great watching you Craig..................Senna and Dallas gave us some brilliant entertainment too

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders