Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Sep-2013, 23:35
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Oil Leak

Firstly I want to say what a fantastic meet I had at Brands this weekend in some quite challenging conditions to say the least. Learnt loads and of course great to catch up with you all. Sorry I missed some of the presentation but we also had a long journey ahead and didn't get in till half four in the morning!

The point of this post is the oil leak I suffered in the final session of the test day. Really sorry to anyone who lost track time, but at least it was in the last minutes of the final session. For those that didn't see me cleaning my bike on Friday evening, it was caused by a bolt that came out from just inside and forward of the engine sprocket. What that bolt does I've no idea - it doesnt hold the casings on either. I'd like to wire lock it but could do with a helping hand what to lock it to as I don't like the idea of getting this wrong so near to the engine sprocket. Answers on a postcard please!

Finally, all this talk about tyres, well I think they are ace, wet, dry or covered in oil!!

Last edited by Spjallen : 13-Sep-2013 at 18:09.
Old 13-Sep-2013, 14:01
Big Twin

Simon, if memory serves the bolt is just a blank for the maching of the oil galleries. Lock tight or lock wire and forget about it.
Old 13-Sep-2013, 14:18
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Bernie, the chief scrut was talking about this subject only a few meets ago. He believes that a BSB meet was cancelled at Brands due to this bolt coming loose on a 848 bike - and accordingly they were thinking of making us wire lock that bolt as a safety feature. I think the Brands BSB meet was abandoned because the oil just couldn’t be cleared up satisfactorily.
Old 13-Sep-2013, 14:21
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spjallen
Bernie, the chief scrut was talking about this subject only a few meets ago. He believes that a BSB meet was cancelled at Brands due to this bolt coming loose on a 848 bike - and accordingly they were thinking of making us wire lock that bolt as a safety feature. I think the Brands BSB meet was abandoned because the oil just couldn’t be cleared up satisfactorily.

I loctited yours in Simon, also tightening more than you would with those girlie hands.
Old 13-Sep-2013, 15:49
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I loctited yours in Simon, also tightening more than you would with those girlie hands.

PMSL
Old 13-Sep-2013, 18:06
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Firstly I want to say what a fantastic meet I had at Brands this weekend in some quite challenging conditions to say the least. Learnt loads and of course great to catch up with you all. Sorry I missed some of the presentation but we also had a long journey ahead and didn't get in till half four in the morning!

The point of this post is the oil leak I suffered in the final session of the test day. Really sorry to anyone who lost track time, but at least it was in the last minutes of the final session. For those that didn't see me cleaning my bike on Friday evening, it was caused by a bolt that came out from just inside and forward of the engine sprocket. What that bolt does I've no idea - it doesnt hold the casings on either. I'd like to wire lock it but could do with a helping hand what to lock it to as I don't like the idea of getting this wrong so near to the engine sprocket. Answers on a postcard please!

Finally, all this talk about tyres, well I think they are ace, wet, dry or coveted in oil!!

The bolt holds in a spring & ball bearing that controls the oil feed to the wet clutch centre, it's easy to lock wire drill the bolt & the engine case in an obvious place..
Old 13-Sep-2013, 18:07
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:

The 848 was a different problem although caused by the same bolt, it was running a dry clutch conversion & in that situation the oil way needs to be blanked off with a different bolt! They used the wrong one & the oil pressure blew out the oil seal in the clutch rod.